Thursday, November 04, 2004

What's it like here in Keesler AFB

4 Nov 04 5:15 pm Thursday Bldg 2003, Rm 3317 Keesler AFB

The sun’s rays burned through the trees as the sun sank slowly down the horizon. Echoes of joyful laughter showered the air while the Star Spangled Banner welcomed the night at 1730 with sacred reverence. It seemed to be signaling the warm exchange of stewardship between the sun and moon. The sun transferring its watchful care now for the moon, leaving her to care for mother nature's treasures.

The clouds smiled giving me a ‘till-tomorrow-wave’ as the stars replaced their post.

It is a calming and soothing sight to see every night.

Traffic, vehicular and human, pause waiting for the wind to carry the anthem’s last note to the farthest corner of Keesler Air Force Base. It impresses me each time to see cars pull to the side of the road and laughter halts as each individual turn to face the retreat. Be it playing volleyball, running, or any other activity, we unite ourselves to stand to listen.

With hand over heart, I take this few seconds of silence to contemplate on many things: the very reason of why I chose to be in the Air Force, my purpose, goals and overwhelming sense of gratitude. Thank goodness for these daily few seconds of serious reflection.

Many have gone on this same path and indeed the only humbling tribute I can give is to honor their reputation. Their sacrifice and hard work can only be added onto by integrating into my own life the values of integrity, service before self and excellence in all that I do. This standard calls me to better myself and lift others accordingly. They are the anchors necessary to carry this country’s Constitution.

I understand that the military has its image constantly prostituted by the media. Granted it is true that the military finds its own share of greedy, selfish, crime-minded individuals. Sensational negativity appears to be the main course when it comes to earning a reputation. Be comforted in knowing that this isn’t what attracted me to the Air Force.

The limited time I’ve had being exposed to the military, it has been my privilege to find individuals with noble disposition. They believe in being true, and living a life of good. They have brought honor and respect to their name and character. These are they whom I want to focus on. They answer to this country’s silent call to duty and selfless service. They represent this nation’s brightest citizens.

The days of yesterdays do not hold my glory. It does not have monopoly on my joy. There is nothing better than to continue adding good friendship and creating more treasured memories.

This is how I am feeling today.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...