Links
The saints here have been quite welcoming. A local member picked a few of us on base and took us to Stake Conference, a local gathering of members where leaders teach us. Another family drove us back on base. The conference this time was different from others I have attended. It was a live broadcast from Salt Lake City and being sent to many other stakes all over the south. Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama are just some that I remember being mentioned.It's purpose is to help us hear modern prophets speak.
It was just good to hear the prophets speak at the same time they were actaully broadcasting it. Misawa is far away from the central part of the Church in Japan. I received the November broadcast for Single Adults in January. I miss hearing them. But I also realize the importance of where I am right now. It was a principle I learned as a missionary serving in the Philippines San Pablo mission: Bloom wherever you are planted. Having served in some of the most depressed areas and also far from the constant influence of the Church, I learned that one has the responsibility to strengthen and improve the areas whererever I would be living. Staying close to the local Church and strengthening the local congregation will lessen the actual miles I am apart from the central location of the Church. I need to strengthen the Church wherever I am at. It is more of a must than anything else.
I called the Bishop of this ward and the Elders Quorum president. I offered my time of service here and waiting for my new assignment. I would love to go home teaching and get to know the saints here. I may be paired up with another return missionary that served in the Philippines. Even if my responsibility involves passing the ward bulletin, I will be happy to do it.
I went and home taught a family at the Japanese branch and though I spoke little (actually, no) Japanese, the feeling of love and compassion was present. They welcomed me with open arms. They also fed me a great meal. All I could say was "Fu-to-ru", I am getting fat.
My flight mate, Clay, and I went to Smokey Bones last night for dinner. I had a combo platter with St Louis ribs, chicken and pulled pork. Boy was that a feast! I enjoyed the mashed potatoes and gravy very well I might add. We also went to Wal-Mart looking for a printer and some grocery items.
I bought some of my favorite body soap: Old Spice body wash. Which is enough for at least 4 months. I also purchased an Abs diet book (need to lose my pouch) and John Grisham's latest book,The Broker. I enjoy his books. I also looked for some music. Hip Hop is very popular in Japan especially with the youth and the night life (as I have been told ;). I thought it would be nice to bring a little bit of Country music (and rock and roll) back with me. I'm pretty sure they'd like country music. Ballroom dancing, hip hop are common. I'm thinking of starting a country themed store of some sort, j/k. But I couldn't find what I was looking for: Greatest hits of Martina McBride, Rascall Flatts, Alabama, Brooks and Dunn, Garth Brooks just to name a few. I was a bit disappointed to see many are heading the same route that pop culture is. Immodesty and vulgarity is finding its place in so many popular media.
We also talked about what happened Friday night. Many of those I shared the floor with in my dorms, spoke of going out to drink. Clay did not go as well. I told him that I was just very fascinated with the others definition of fun: puking out the alcohol after a long night of drinking. The only time I ever threw up was when I was really sick as a missionary. I don't recall anything fun about that. I'd rather strain a finger rock climbing or drown river rafting (both of which had happened- accept the drowning part- to me).
Earlier I took a taxi to the Montgomery Mall's JC Pennys. I was shocked to see how messy everything was. Ties, shirts, everything were strewn all over the floor, counters and other places. Turns out everything was 40- 70 percent off. The store is closing.
I bought some insulated/blackout curtains for my house in Misawa, and also one pillow. It was all I had budgeted for. The sun supposedly rises at 3 am during spring time and it has been suggested that I get one. I couldn't find one in Misawa that was within my price range. Someone mentioned JCpennys online. I found it but I am glad I waited until I got here.
Many funny things happened to me this week and before I got here. Those that know me well will see the humor in them, it-could-only-happen-to-me type of thing.
Such as missing my first flight to the Continental U.S. (CONUS) and having to find a place to stay. I guess its not as funny writing them down. Just trust me on this one.
Met the full time missionaries assigned to the base. I am impressed with what I saw. It makes me happy to see hardworking missionaries. One can easily tell if they are or not. A flight mate had been asking me about the Church and the differences it has with other denominations. We discussed modern day living prophets, the Book of Mormon and the priesthood as an authority given by God and not a rank given by one man to another. It was a good discussion.
I await and look for other opportunities to share what I treasure. I also want to go to the closest Temple here.