Today was our graduation. A few of us sang the Star Spangled Banner and boy, did that song ever sound better! That song holds an even more special place in my life.
Right after graduation, I went mountain biking (outskirt of Wetumpka) with friends I had made from Church. I have learned so much from them. They teach me so much about what wise choices can do to people. They are doing everything they can to be good and their dedication to their responsibilities is to be emulated. I will miss them very much. Their optimism and enthusiasm is highly contagious. Their love for the people whom they serve are very unique indeed. They have shown me the side of Alabama that others don't normally get to see: her people and beautiful country.
Last Saturday, a friend from tech school along with her other friends and I went hiking to a small water fall (Oak Mountain State Park). Austin, Bryan and I made a tiny raft from small branches and launched it on the river. It quickly fell apart but the process in making it was a fun one. We then went to the animal farm; petted some goats and horses. It was a day filled with laughter.
The other day, when asked who joined the Air Force after 9/11, many raised their hands. Many joined because they felt it their duty to serve our country. It is my privilege to be associated with them. It really isn't about the money because one could surely get that from another organization but a simple sense of duty to serve our country. To protect the Constitution and defend the freedom which we all often take for granted.
I've enjoyed this past 6 weeks. I've enjoyed Alabama's fried chicken, fried pork rhinds and peppered vinegar on collard greens. Most of all, I've enjoyed the people I have met here.