About a month ago, our Church had Conference in Tokyo. Yokota Air Base in itself was a city within a city. It had a shopping mall reminiscent of any U.S. based malls. There was also an Outback restaurant, which ironically enough, was my first time being in an Outback restaurant. I've always wanted to go to one, especially since there were quite a few while I was in Utah.
I treated myself to a medium-cooked bacon cheeseburger.
I enjoy driving and "exploring" the countryside of Japan. Misawa is located in the northernmost tip of Honshu, the main island. Japan also has geographic boundaries similar to what the U.S. recognizes as States, but in Japan they call it Prefectures. I live in the Aomori Prefecture.
There are plenty of forests, rivers and lakes here. Traveling to and fro costs a ton of money but I am learning to find ways around them. For example, an 8-hour drive to Tokyo, driving your own vehicle can cost you at least $300 for toll fees, not counting gas which could cost up to another $200. But if you bring your own gas, that will save you money. I'm also enjoying the "scenic routes". Sometimes on purpose.
To help me not get too engrossed and sheltered in being a military officer, I stay busy being involved in the community. I teach English Conversations in the community center on a weekly basis. I enjoy it and I am able to meet and greet with local Japanese citizens. Having a class where I interact regularly, albeit weekly, with them helps me get to know the people for myself and not through the stereotypes often associated with people from different backgrounds. I am finding that stereotypes are often created due to the lack of interaction amongst local natives. When there is no real understanding, assumptions and speculations are made.
I like to tell my troops: give me all the facts, then I can make better judgement of the situation.
One recent move-in to Japan told me that the only restaurants available in Japan had no chairs to sit on. I laughed at that one! It made me remember my own first impressions of what I thought Japanese people only ate: sushi- raw fish. Turns out there's more to Japanese food than sushi. There are noodles, beef, pork, and my favorite: fried chicken.
Many have told me that Japanese people are private and shy people. I find that to be a very strong generalization. The people I meet with weekly are not at all shy. They love to laugh as much as I do. Perhaps more so because they are laughing at me when I try to speak Nihonggo. They are not at all timid. They are more than willing to talk to me in Nihonggo even when I have no clue what they are saying. I feel comfortable with them and they with me.
I also have opportunities to stay busy with my church responsibilities. Recently I was asked to serve as the Branch Clerk, responsible for our congregations membership records. This is in addition to being a Primary Teacher, which is a Sunday School class for 6-7 year olds, and also the Single Adult Representative, which involves me with the retention and activation of the Single Adult Members within Misawa Air Base.
I am also house sitting, mainly responsible for dog sitting. I found out recently that I may be allergic to dogs. But the house has air conditioning! It's getting to be hot and humid here now.
I am looking forward to next week when an Air Force Academy cadet shadows me in my job. He recently found out that his Air Force Specialty Code (job title) will be the same as mine. It's incredible how much I have learned this past 6 months. I am learning so much and there's too little time to do and learn them all at once. I have good troops who are capable of being led instead of babysat.
My career field is called Manpower. It deals with the Human Resource's side of the Air Force. As we tell people, we deal with spaces not faces. I like to think of it as the business consultants of the Air Force.
I ran into a few cadets and after learning they did not have any official programs set in place I asked if they'd like a tour of local Japan.
I took them to an Onsen, a Japanese style spa. They loved it and found it to be very relaxing. I also drove them to the local gorge where the lake water is clear and has a bluish green hue.
August is coming up and I will be starting my first term as a graduate student. I will be starting a course in International Relations with emphasis in Global Studies. I am excited!
Until the next time...