Saturday, November 05, 2005

Shopping

I went to Universe last night, the one on Sun Maru Road (30 Meter Road). I was dry coughing all night. I decided I needed some honey and lemon. In my stupored state, I walked to the entrance of the store and wham! Hit the sliding door. It hadn't opened all the way when I walked into it. I became disoriented for a few seconds that I didn't even realize what had happened. I couldn't help but start laughing. The lady behind me wasn't as amused. She must have thought: What a weird gaijin!

Grocery shopping in Japan is so much fun. I can't read Japanese so it takes me a little bit longer than what it would normally take me. There are so many cool things to choose from. Perhaps its excitement is due to the fact that I have no clue what I'm getting. I recall buying cold chocolate milk in a box one time and after drinking most of it, I realized that the weird taste was coffee!

Most of the servings in the grocery stores are good for 1-2 persons and its perfect for me. I bought some stuff that looked pretty interesting, such as chips, soup, hot pepper paster, mustard, shrimp and some fruit in a gelatin filled container. It reminds me of yogurt but it really is fruit. I ended up finding a jar of honey and bought one. I also got some obento (meal boxes). Now this aren't your normal lunch boxes. It's a meal tray all made up professionally. I was watching American TV the other day and one of the persons on it was excited that they were going to be treated like kings and queens at a department store and be richly pampered.

It was interesting watching the show. Everytime I go to a Japanese store, I feel very pampered and well taken care of. Customer service is a way of life for the people I have met and it really is a wonderful learning experience. Everything is perfectly prepared. Each item is handled professionally and they don't accept any thing less.

I've downed a small bottle of honey lemon. I think its time I go to bed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...