Church was quite an experience today. My friend had all his three children on his lap while his wife played the organ. I asked if I could help by taking one of the children. He wanted to give me his two-year old but I opted for the calmer 9-month old. Had I known she was going to burp her milk all over my lap, I may have just reconsidered taking the energetic 1-year old. It was hard trying to focus on the Primary’s sacrament program. I don’t even know if I remember anything. When my friend's wife completed her organ playing duties, I was more than satisfied to relinquish my volunteer duties. I moved and sat by one of my friends who had their own children. A mother with an infant, and a father with his 18-month old son. Boy, kids are full of energy. I couldn’t focus so I decided to leave the room crossing and stepping all over people’s legs and bags. I remembered what a friend told me awhile back during her days of attending church with very young and fidgety children: sometimes Church attendance is all about the principle of obedience.
I decided to wait in the hallway and watch the children from there. A friend walked over to get ready to say the closing prayer. Her 3-year old was convinced that she would not let mommy go and did not stop from crying, correction, screaming.
She gave her to me so she could say the closing prayer but the youngun' continued to scream, literally screamed her lungs out. I was confused as to what to do next. I went downstairs to the nursery and let her down to play with the toys. She kicked and screamed. I went to get some toys out of the closet but her relentless and murderous cries made me approach her much like a prey would in avoiding a predator: I stood 10-feet away and threw the stuffed toys I found at her hoping she’d accept them as a peace offering. My attempts were fruitless and she ran towards me. Fearing for my life, I almost took off. But remembering that she was only “free years old”, I took her into my arms and walked out of the building into the parking lot, which may not have been the best choice to make either for a guy holding a screaming girl in his arms. I was expecting the neighbors to call the cops!
I just could not calm her down. I put her on the steps and pleaded firmly with her to calm down. I tried to bargain with her but realized there was nothing to bargain with. I explained to her calmly that her mother was praying and I’d take her to her mother as soon as she calms down. But that produced more shrieking. Until that is, one of the fathers from our branch walked out to the parking lot with his toddler Max. My mouth fell off my face to see the immediate night and day difference with this girl! I asked if he was her boyfriend and all she could say was yes. She was very happy to see him and could not stop talking about him. I couldn’t understand the immediate difference with the change in personality but I was not about to complain. The calming effect Max had with this 3-year old girl was just touching. I wonder if I could bottle that up and sell it as a cologne of some sort. I was able to return her to her mother calmed, thank goodness for Max!
In the beginning of the second hour of our meetings, 1-year old Dillon was also admamantly screaming in the nursery. One of the nursery leaders went to the parking lot to prevent him from disrupting class next door. I was in the hallway when I saw her walk out. I asked if I could help. Dillon stretched his arms to me and started to calm down. I had a class to teach and was prepared to take him with me to the missionary prep class but another fathers who was by the door took him from me.
When all was said and done, drool, spit and tears were all over my suit because of him laying his head on my shoulder. So there I was at the end of the day with milk vomit on my crotch, and drool on my suit coat, looking like I had just come out of war. I must say though, my tie was still straight and my shirt was still tucked. It was awesome!
I love being here in Misawa. There are so many who are willing to help each other in the simplest of ways and it shows not only on Sundays but throughout the week. Many know about these acts and some never get the spotlight. But still they serve because they enjoy doing it and not for any other reason. I am learning so much! Being involve with this branch is helping me develop a greater respect for parents and for the patience they have in raising such wonderful children.
No comments:
Post a Comment