Ahh yes. Sleeping made easy.
As my travel companion calls it sleeping in a tomb.
It wasn`t as bad as I thought it was going to be.
I stayed at Capsule Inn Akihabara last night. Here is their website: www.capsuleinn.com for more information on what they are. I was going to find a hostel last night. Since I do not speak Japanese, I figured the best way to get around Tokyo and to find out the hotspots, asking a foreigner that speaks English is the best to way to learn more about Tokyo. I saw this kid coming out of a bakery I was going to. I asked if he knew of a good place to sleep for the night, when he told me he found a coffin to sleep for the night, I thought that would be an experience I was willing to try.
He is from London who had just arrived from China when I stopped him, so he took me where he was staying and I was surprised at how clean it is. It really isn`t a tomb but a hotel (sort of) with capsules for beds.
Capsule Inn caters to mostly older travellers and business men as a place to crash when they are too drunk or missed the train home.
Akahibahara by the way, is an electronic store hotspot. I saw a huge line circling around a building. I approached one of the folks that were in line, actually several people until I found someone that understood my question, and he told me the line was for Playstation 3.
Today, my friend from England and I went to the Meiji Shrine. There were a ton of kids dressed in their best Kimono. As I crossed the overhang to go to the other side, I tripped and almost fell on the lap of this gentleman on a wheelchair. I was surprised to see his entourage. The guys in suits were ready to attack me! Good thing I caught myself. I guess he was someone very important because no one was in front of him and everyone stayed behind. He was surrounded by tough looking guys in suits and dark shades. In fact everyone wore black suits. They were walking very slowly. It was an interesting sight to see. My friend later tells me I might have just met (or almost fell onto) the head honcho of a Japanese mafia.

(For more pictures click on My Picture on the right side of my blog)
We also went to Shibuya and took pictures of the busiest crossing (so they claimed) from the second floor of the busiest in the world, Starbucks restaurant (as one of the Americans I spoke to on the train). Funny thing was, my friend from England commented that he came to Japan to experience Japan and so far, he has been to TGI Fridays and McDonalds.

We met Melissa, a college girl from San Ramon, California, here on a study abroad at Starbucks. She was looking for a Capsule Inn. I gave her my number but so far she has not called for directions.
After waiting for the rain to slow down, we went to Harakuju where the shrine was. We found many teenaged kids dressed in clothing that had it been in America, would have been mistaken for something one would find in inappropriate magazines.
I met a few more folks and asked them for places we should go see. We went to Tokyo Dome and found more teenagers dressed in their best costumes taking pictures like professionals doing a photo shoot.
We also found a spa (LaQua). All I can say is that these people work hard but they also know how to relax! There were hairdryers at the guys bathroom and everything a guy would need for hair products.
That was my day. My friend from England was surprised to hear I woke up at 0600. I reminded him it was his idea. He chuckled and said, `When I said early, I meant 10 am early.
I met many folks from different countries and talked to several of them. Many were surprisingly polite. My friend was caught off guard by how polite the local Japanese we talked to. He was surprised that I could talk to anyone. I just thought everyone did that.
A few we talked to were dressed in `gangstah` clothing yet surprisingly they lacked the attitude of disrespect that is often associated with the hip hoppity folks they are trying to emulate.
Maybe before I go to bed, I will finally try a Karaoke bar.
The funny thing is, all my clothes and other stuff are with my friends who are two hours away and on a separate itinerary than I am.
I love Tokyo! I can live here. In the city that is, and not in Capsule Inn.
No comments:
Post a Comment