Monday, June 30, 2008

Big families

So, I've been watching TLC alot. Some of the shows I enjoy watching are Take it Home Chef, where a professional chefs cook in your house, John and Kate plus 8, a husband and wife with twins and a sextuplet, The Singing Office with Mel B and Joey Fatone where they go to offices and selects 5 people to form a singing group and perform later that week, the Rock Reception, where couples getting married have professional choreographers create a dance for them as their first wedding dance, Kids by the Dozen, where they feature American families with 12 kids or more.

I found this show fascinating the most as I watched how the kids were all so well adjusted. It was a breath of fresh since it was a positive show. It lacks the unnecessary drama or competitive spin often related with reality shows. I also like it as it presents a positive view of families compared to what popular media often link big families to be, dysfunctional or that it can't be done.

Yet these families show that it can be done, that it can be a happy setting and without needing to rely on welfare. They make do and spend money where it is needed the most and it's just impressive to watch how the families accomplish it all despite the difficulties and challenges they face daily. I was even surprised that many of the kids have a sense of humor.

I recently watched an episode where they featured the Arndt family, www.famteam.com, 13 boys and 1 girl, I found them to be quite amiable. It made me want to meet them and get to know them. They appeared to be very friendly.

The other families featured are: the Duggar family with 17 kids and counting, he Jeub Family, the Heppner family and the Duggar family

The families featured share a common theme running through them all. Each child has a responsibility in the home, whether it's taking out the garbage, washing the dishes or sorting laundry which I believe help them understand the meaning of hard work from an early age. They also know how to communicate-- where they can speak their mind openly, listen and understand each other. It is neat to watch a family have open conversations with one another.

Another thing I was impressed with was how educated and well spoken the children were. Each family featured home school their kids which at times has a negative connotation added to it. Yet one episode showed one family studying bankruptcy laws--which high school class teaches that, or even college?

These families show that something good comes from teaching a child responsibility from an early age and having an honest conversation with each other. I enjoyed the episode where they featured the Arndt family as most of the kids were older, the oldest being 24, whereas the other families have more younger kids. The Arndt brothers mentioned with confidence that their time of leaving home will come and I was just so impressed at just how well adjusted they all were. It looks that they will be successful in whatever they do.

You can learn more about them by typing their names on Google or going to www.tlc.com

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...