Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Feb 09 Update

It's been awhile since I've updated my blog. Here's a brief look on what I've learned and done.

Things I learned:

* Expectorate.

I was reading the instructions on the back of my flouride toothpaste brushing my teeth when I came upon this word. It intrigued me so much that I kept the toothbrush in my mouth and look the word up in the dictionary then and there. Simply put it means to not swallow but spit it out.


* Laughing is great!

I almost ran into those automatic doors again. As I did, it made me laugh to remember the time I actually ran into a grocery store's door in Japan (it happened more than once but that's for another story). I guess I was just too fast for the doors to open that I slammed into it. Hard. I fell back and everyone in the store came out running in Japanese to see how I was doing. I couldn't stop laughing. I'm sure they thought I was a crazy gaijin.

Being sick gives me time to remember the other times I'd been sick. I hate being sick and especially being stuck at home. So again, during my stint in Japan, I decided to go out and beat the sickness out of me. Many of the locals, wear masks on their faces. It was a cultural thing I had to get to. But I never wore them despite many of my local Japanese co-workers reminded me as politely as they could.

Anyways, I went to a clothing store. Going to any store in Japan makes you feel like you've just won a million dollar. They treat you well. At least from my experience, they weren't shy in approaching me despite my lack of Japanese language skills nor their lack of English. They weren't afraid of me. Except this one time.

I couldn't figure out why they weren't as welcoming. I browsed through the store and kept looking and finally saw what they saw in the mirror.

There I was with toothpaste residue on my mouth, one pant leg in my socks (I was wearing sweat pants), half tucked shirt under a huge overcoat, unshaven and with bed head. I guess I looked liked a crazy foaming gaijin.

Speaking of toothpaste on my mouth. I had a meeting with my boss yesterday when she asked me: Did you have milk for lunch? I said no. You've got white stuff all over your face.

She and I laughed out loud I think for most of our meeting together! I had to go to the bathroom and clean myself out a bit. I was laughing so hard when I realized how come no one else had told me earlier?

Of everyone I met throughout that morning and she was the first and only one that told me. It's also a good thing I don't get embarrassed. Too many people do already for me.

I've told folks in the market and other places I'd been that they had something hanging from their nose, a zipper undone, or a slip showing and even pulled a waiter aside at a restaurant my co-workers attended and told him to go check his nose in the mirror as he had snot coming out of his nose. I didn't have soup like my co-workers did.

But as a reminder, I've learned to do it tactfully throughout the years. Anyways, my boss and I had a blast laughing about my milk mustache.

I'm glad my boss is not uptight but has a great sense of humor. It was one of the reasons why I chose to work where I do. She's not worried about what others think. She sees and recognizes their work ethic. Not that she doesn't know the art of work politics but it doesn't get in the way of her getting the job done and of earning my respect. She knows I work hard and I produce good results.

I have low tolerance for folks that are uptight, take them too seriously or worried more about what other people think. I say, if it ain't gonna effect your life negatively why fret over it?

I'm also working on being more patient with folks that get offended too easily. I breath and they get offended. I'm seeing this on the news more now as well. It seems like the art of listening in conversations has disappeared. Everyone is getting offended over what someone said instead of really trying to listen and hear what they are trying to say.



* Being sick and not being able to do anything does the body no good.

I've missed a month of school and a lot of work. Despite being sick, I am glad that I have a great boss who is letting me work as much as a I can despite my having used up all of my sick leave.

I've seen a lot of doctors and have had a lot of tests but nothing has really come up. All tests have come up negative and "normal". I'll be honest, it's frustrating to know that there's something wrong and there's nothing the doctors can find. Currently, I am seeing a neurological doctor. I had to apologize to them today because I was getting frustrated. I told him that I've taken many similar tests before but realize I just need to keep going forward. So since this is a new doctor I'm again up for more tests.

To not be misunderstood, it's nothing tragic or something that is fatal, or something weighing me down but more like a chihuahua barking up your heel. It's more an annoyance than anything.


* We've had a memorial service for members of our congregation every month so far since last October.

It's a sobering thought and experience. Not to belittle or mock the pain of losing someone, but I must admit, there's no funeral service I prefer attending than a Latter-day Saint funeral.

With the Air Force and other experiences in my life, I've attended my own share of funerals or memorial services. I've noticed though a big difference when I attend a Latter-day Saint funeral. It lacks the heaviness of despair. Don't get me wrong, there is still sadness and anguish in having lost a dear one, but there is a calmness and peace not present at the others I've attended. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but knowing that there is life after death brings a different sense of perspective.

While I'm not talking about a return to life like "Return of the Living Dead", it is my belief that the relationships I enjoy with those whom I interact with now, in the past and in the future, can one day be again had. Life again will be restored. When that is exactly, I do not know.

Elder David Bednar, a member of today's 12 apostles, gave a talk many months ago in recognizing the tender mercies of a loving God. It's good to know that there are things to be thankful for in life. All we have to do is take the time to think and remember what they are. Listed below are some of what I am thankful for.


Things I'm thankful for:

* My boss is incredible.

She has been very understanding and allowing me to work as much as I can despite of my missing work.


* Having reconnected with friends from the past.

Such as my high school friends who never made me feel like a weirdo, even though I'm sure I was and let me eat with them at lunch. It's good to laugh now and again.

And other Folks I knew from way back when.

And those who taught me that I can be better and emulated the person I wanted to be, those whom I served a mission with in the Philippines many, many, many (well perhaps only one many) years ago. It's good to be reconnected with them again. I guess I'm their biggest fan. Not sure if 155 is big enough but so far that's how much I weigh.

I've also had an opportunity to reconnect with someone I had taught as a missionary in the Philippines. During which she did not accept our invitation to join the Church. She has since decided and will be entering the temple to be married for time and eternity with her family.

It is a belief that we have that family relationships can withstand not only time but also death by making and also keeping promises to each other as a married couple and to God.

Until next time...let the laughter continue and may we learn to not take ourselves too seriously.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...