Monday, May 11, 2009

April came and went...

Lessons learned:

* Measure twice cut once.



For a few hours each week during the past couple of months, I've been helping a friend renovate his basement. He and his wife with their two young children moved out of my neighborhood and bought a house. The basement unfinished, the reframing was redone, insulation and dry wall needed to be installed.I can't wait until we paint.

My reasons for helping come mostly due to my own selfish reasons. I'm trying to find a skill to learn and develop. Since this is not a paid gig but helping a friend out, I have a better chance of not getting fired from doing carpentry work should I do something wrong. At least that was my initial thinking.

But in all fairness, I did give my friend ample warning that I am by no means the most coordinated person in the world. Thank goodness he was okay with my offer of free help. Also, I figure knowing basic carpentry skills are usable especially when I buy my own home later on.

On one of my visits, a professional carpenter was hired to show and teach us how to install dry wall. The next day, I came back and thought that I got the hang of it, until I couldn't figure out why one of the dry wall I measured and cut didn't fit. I tried and tried but it still wouldn't fit. This taught me that carpentry work can be a good environment to exercise good discipline and behavior.

Finally after what must have been more minutes spent than I should have, I decided to measure again. Turns out I had cut it to 38" 1/4" instead of 37" 1/4". Needless to say, after the second time I measured it, it fit like a perfectly suited glove. I couldn't help but laugh at my own silliness. It helped that everyone else was also laughing.

My friend's dad, who had served an LDS mission with Lino Brocka back in days, was my partner and just shook his head laughing. For those that may not know who Lino Brocka is, he was a well known director in the Philippines who has since passed away. I believe this was the closest thing I've ever been to knowing a celebrity.

As a side note, I think I prefer dry walling to installing insulation. Insulation gives me the itch. But I look forward to learning real wood working skills.

I previously asked the carpenter if he was interested in having an apprentice, when he started to voice his concern that he may not have money to pay-- I reassured him: "No, no, I'm not interested in getting paid. I just want to learn how to be a wood worker and if you are willing to let me be your apprentice for a few hours a week, I'm more than willing to do so for free."

He agreed and this week, I get to work on one of his cabinetry projects. My free hours of hard labor equals him teaching and also allowing me to use his workshop for free is after all a win-win situation.

I really am excited as I have been looking for someone who can teach me how to build a split dinner table which will be my first project. One that I can use as two buffet bars when I'm not using it as a dinner table. It's my goal to make one and finish it this summer.



------------

* Mothers are awesome no matter who they are and what stage of life they are in.



Yesterday was Mother's day. As I thought of the importance and significance of this day, I couldn't help but be grateful for the many mothers in my own life. Despite of my own mother's passing when I was very young, I must say that I have not been denied the opportunity of motherly influences.

I do not know if there are words to express my gratitude for these women who despite of their own busy lives, made room to let me tag along with them. Gordon B. Hinckley is tributed to having said that women are the crown jewel of the Lord's creation or by his exact words: women are the grand summation of all of the marvelous work that had gone before."

(Click here for the entire article)

Throughout the few years of my existence, these women from all walks of life, backgrounds, and beliefs, and from different stages of my life, have helped me be who I am today. The very nature of their lives exemplify why I value this statement so.

Their capacity to love a total stranger, despite their busy lives, has made such an impact in my own life. I wouldn't be where I am had it not been for their gentle guidance, kind words of rebuke, and helping me remember who I am and who I can be. But most important of all, allowing me to be simply me.

For this I thank you.



------------

* I AM weird. Really and I'm okay with it.



I am learning that there are those that feel very comfortable around me and I've also learned that there are many more that get annoyed and irritated by me.

But for the sake of this entry, I thought I'd share something that made me laugh hysterically this morning.

Today, I found a note that my boss had written about me in an application I had asked her to submit on my behalf.

I expressed interest in applying for a position as a member of the University's Staff Council. My reasons being that this opportunity may help with my professional development. I also did not hide the fact that the chance of winning a scholarship for educational purposes was another catalyst for my decision to apply.

My boss is an amazing communicator. She listens and articulates the real meaning of what is being said. Needless to say, I've learned that respect is a two way road and my loyalty to the department is mostly due to how much she's trusted many of my decisions and work ethic. I must also add that not only has she let me make decisions, but how she's corrected me when they haven't gone the way it should have, is a classic text book example of what positive mentoring is.

So when I read what she wrote about me in the application, I couldn't help but laugh with the words she chose to include in her last sentence:

Jerome has impressed us with his grasp of a wide variety of complex issues since joining EHS. He's enthusiastic and constantly on the look out for opportunities to develop and learn more, particularly about the U.

He comes with a military background; he's very disciplined and very entertaining.



I guess my quirkiness has finally found a place where it's welcomed.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...