Here's what happened in March (just a snippet not everything)--
One of my former roommates, we'll call him Statham, got married in March. Statham, Mcfly and I (more on this later) got to spend some quality time together. Though I'm not so sure I was fully awake when it all happened.
We watched two movies, pigged out on pizza and rootbeer until 2 am on a Friday night. But I must admit, I zonked out on the couch as soon as the clock hit 10 pm. I woke up now and again to say a comment here and again...What can I say, I'm an old man.
On a separate occasion, which was a week before he got married, he stayed with us again since he rented his condo to another couple to earn some extra money. He treated us to IHOP for dinner. I had crepes with Nuttela, banana, strawberries and whip cream. Nothing better than having breakfast for dinner-- Yummy-yum-yum is all I can say. I also had eggs and steak. Seriously, I didn't know he was paying. It felt awkward since I ordered two meals.
On our drive back, maybe because it was late (10:30 pm) and having three guys together that couldn't be more different, started to laugh like crazy. Hmmmm, come to think of it, I think it was just me laughing and they were laughing at me...
Somehow our conversation led to: if we were to make a movie out of our being roommates for a year and a half, what actors would play our part. S. would be George McFly, T.- Jason Statham and I, drum roll please, would be played by Danny DeVito... I thought that was a hoot and couldn't stop laughing.
--------------
I went to Statham's wedding reception. After greeting the newly christened bride and groom, I went straight to the food line. It was cupcake heaven. They had peanut butter, coconut, red velvet and a chocolate fountain.
In front of me was a mother with a young boy probably about 5 or 6 who was having difficulties making up his mind. I suggested that he should try one of each like what I was doing, the mother gave me a look-- bugged eyes with jaw wide open. I guess she didn't like that.
They were getting antsy since the line was taking quite some time. So I told the boy with a big smile, tell those folks to hurry up in front. The boy gave a pleasant smile, the mother said "No, we will be polite and wait our turn".
I slapped the shoulder of the guy in front of them and said to hurry up. The mother just couldn't believe what she was seeing. The guy in front turned around and said, "wait your turn boy". He and I just laughed. He was my other roommate.
After the mother and her son finished the line, she quickly grabbed her son and disappeared from my eye sight.
I enjoyed filling up my plate with cupcakes and tasting the chocolate fountain.
Statham's family is fun to be with. I've met a few of his brothers before and when we're together, just laugh like crazy. They are all cut from the same cloth. Their sense of humor is lively and light. Never a dull moment. I guess that's what happens when you have 5 brothers and 3 sisters. Needless to say, we enjoy each others company quite well.
--------------
Uh-Oh (Funny?) Moments
I was in class when we took a break. The restroom's doors open out into the hallway and as I was walking to go in, the door opened. I slammed my hand on the door pretending to have been hit on the head. It was a guy from my class. He felt bad and I couldn't help but laugh! Good thing he has a sense of humor.
As I left the men's bathroom, someone hit the door. Thinking it was the same guy just getting me back, I pushed the door a little bit while laughing. But then I saw that it wasn't him. It was a visually impaired female student using a cane. She was reading the braille sign on the door trying to find the women's restroom.
Ouch.
I apologized profusely, felt sick to my stomach and ran back to class laughing like a hyena at the mistake I made. Guess, that's what they call bad karma.
----
Health Updates
Met with specialists and here are the results:
- After getting a second opinion, its confirmed that I have symptoms of Fibromyalgia.
- Got a CT scan to see if I have Chronic Sinusitis and if this has anything to do with my vertigo.
Like every other tests I've had, it was again normal.
- Got a skin test for allergies.
I already knew I was allergic to grass, dogs and dust but here are some cool pictures. Be warned the photos may cause you to vomit (I decided not to post the photo of my left arm to save y'all the trouble)...
Right Arm

Right Arm after 10 minutes
.jpg)
The cool thing about all of this? After missing work for a week, my boss asked how I was doing. I was honest with her and told her what she needed to hear. After it was confirmed I have Fibromyalgia, which explains my chronic fatigue, unexplained joint pains, muscle pains, etc... I was straightforward in explaining should I become a hindrance and become unable to complete my duties at work, I find it only fair that she should find someone else more capable. I took a deep breathe and did not expect to hear this response.
"Jerome. We will be partners with this. Just make sure you let me know how you are doing and we will work around this."
Turns out she has colleagues who are experiencing life with Fibromyalgia as well. But besides that, I am once again given a very clear example of not only what a leader should be but how I want to be as a person.
I spoke with our HR department the day before about filling out some ADA paperworks. Turns out I won't need to.
All in all, I'm glad that after 5 years of many testings and frustrating doctors visit, I have an idea of what to confront now. I don't know how many doctors have been puzzled as to why all my tests results show up negative despite all my symptoms.
But life moves on and so must I. As the specialist told me, he's been living with Fibromyalgia for 25 years and he hasn't stopped living a life. I like that. There is nothing that bothers and turns me off more than naysayers. Actually I tend to automatically shut negative people off, folks that cannot see beyond themselves. There is more to life than just feeling sorry for yourself or feeling sorry for others. There is much good still to be done, more goals to be accomplished and more reason to be happy.
I've been living a full life before this and there's no reason why I should stop doing so now.
1 comment:
Sorry to hear about your health struggles. I never would have guessed how miserable you must be at times. Do what you need to do to feel better. That is a lesson we all need to learn.
Post a Comment