Monday, July 12, 2010

June 2010 Update- Flying Shoes

As many can now tell, I am writing this update in the middle of July. It's been a busy summer thus far and I have had to cut down on many activities to focus my attention in school. It's neat to know though that there are many who are in my classes this summer experiencing the same pain I am going through. It's good to have a sense of humor now and again-- it helps deflate the stress.

So here's something funny that happened in June:

June 5- First Saturday of June kicked me in the mouth and then some. I was hoping for a relaxing weekend but instead got stuck in traffic for two hours. I was hoping to spend more time taking sewing lessons from a friend but as the two hours I was supposed to be learning was spent on Interstate 15, I had to cut my visit short and head back to Salt Lake.

I was on my way to a friend's house for sewing lessons when I heard something bouncing on the roof of my car. From my rear view mirror, I see something falling off the room and bouncing on the freeway. It was my dress shoes! Actually it was one of my dress shoes for the wedding I was to be singing at later that afternoon.

I almost stopped but I was on the freeway and as I saw cars behind me swerving the flying shoe projectile, I decided to let it stay on the freeway. I've had that worn out shoe for over 6 years and needed to be replaced anyway.

On my way back from the supposed sewing lesson, I found the other pair stuck between the rack of my car. I thought about going barefoot to a wedding ceremony but decided against it.

The wedding reception had a clothing store close by. I entered the store dressed in shorts, t-shirt, sandals-- basically grubby attire. I explained to the sales person that I was supposed to be in a wedding in about 15 minutes and needed help finding shoes.

The guy was very meticulous, professional and allowed me to change in their dressing room. I ran back to my car, grabbed my change of clothes. I forgot my belt but didn't have time.

I then ran to the reception area with plenty of time to spare, rehearse and remove any trace of sweat from Utah's dry heat.

I guess if there was a lesson to learn from this is to remember looking at the roof of your car before driving. Turns out I had my shoes on the roof of my car while I was driving around town that morning and no one ever pointed it out to me.

Oh well, I guess it was finally time to find a reason to buy new shoes anyways.

----
Additional highlights

- My cousin and his new bride stopped by in Salt Lake on their way to New York. We met up at a local Denny's at midnight on a Saturday. It was good to see them and meet his wife. As always Denny's was packed.

- Started hunting for jobs for after grad school. Visit this page to learn more about my job hunting.

- Officially resigned from the Red Cross as their Emergency Shelter Team leader. While it was good to be highly recruited by them, it's a volunteer position that I didn't really need on my plate. I'm still considered as a volunteer but not as involved as I used to.

- Made it back to my orthodontist after two months of not going. Africa, then school and work just ate most of my time.

- Finally got my car's A/C fixed without having to sell my extra kidney.

And now, here are just some endless fun I had with Photoshop:

My twin and I.

Being a daredevil with help of Photoshop.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Its ok, jerome!! I have left pizza, how many drinks? clothes- never a pet or family member though!! Love you lots and I love reading this!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...