Yup, KF7LSY is my call sign. I completed the month of August by getting my amateur ham radio operator. Anyone watched the movie Frequency?
August also saw me finishing my 12 credits of grad work in 10 weeks of summer school (I still haven't checked my grades), and was facing two weeks off school before Fall semester started, so when I got an email at work from colleagues regarding seating that opened up for this class, I jumped at the chance. I haven't acquired any equipment yet as that is an additional cost I currently don't have budgeted for. But it was neat to meet and hear from others who've had years and years of experience. The license is good for 10 years so I've got time.
I also canceled my internet service at home as I was very disappointed with Comcast-- I didn't have any connection for the whole month of August for some reason. I had a tech come but after a few days again lost any internet service. I scheduled another one but due never showed up (they called a different contact number which is interesting as I gave them my cell number). So after that, I called and canceled. Honestly, I don't miss it at all. After September, I'll reassess and re-evaluate if getting internet service is something I really need. But with work and the local library and me being back in school I don't really need it. So far, it's been nice to just come home and be "disconnected" from everything and everyone.
Another thing I got to do as part of my monthly goal of doing something out of my comfort zone was mountain biking up in Idaho. It was awesome! We set up tents and by the time we finished the sun was setting so a few of us jumped on the trail right as the sun was sinking past the horizon and it added another level of excitement. My friend, his brother and niece and nephew came, as well as two of his neighborhood friends. We got rained on but as I like to say, we got to create memories out of that experience.
The following morning we had a great breakfast and decided to go on another trail and having never been there before, we were caught surprise at the difficulty of the trail. My friend's niece fell off her bike right by the river but she was tough and got back on. I on the other hand, fell and got a nice piece of wound on my knee--I actually got to see a piece of my fatty tissues. I was bruised, sore, and exhausted all over but I enjoyed it.
I ended August with a fever which caused me to miss work for three days but now back on my feet again.
I don't know what I'll be doing this September yet. But I do know this, Summer went by so fast that I'm still trying to hang on even though the chill is in the air.
Another lesson I learned this past August: there really are many good people out there trying to do their best. It's neat to experience the kindness of others, it gives me a better perspective on life and prevent me from becoming too cynical.

2 comments:
Hey, while doing a random search on ham-related stuff, I came across your blog & see that you just got your license. I wanted to say congrats & look forward to maybe working you on the air one of these days...it's a good time!
73's
k d 5 b i s
Thanks Eddie!
Post a Comment