I find it amazing to have all these wonderful opportunities to meet so many wonderful people from different countries and background living next to me or going to school with me. I've also been impressed to have met quite a few military service veterans younger or around my age here.
One of my neighbors called last night and asked if I was going to the barbecue activity for the single guys and gals around the area. His brother-in-law was in town from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.
I honestly did not feel like going but recognized that this was the best time to do the exact opposite.
Without being asked, I asked if he wanted me to take his brother-in-law. Since he didn't know anyone here, I took him with me and introduced him to people I knew and didn't know. He had a great time. I guess the old adage is correct: service isn't real unless you're inconvenience by the act.
One gal I met last night ask if there were any contentious feelings between the Army guy and me (I met him from many years ago, though I don't remember where). She told me that there usually is tension between the different armed forces. I shrugged off her concerns with a friendly tone and said they were just playful banter but also did not deny the reality of stupid people that think they're better than others and that actually enjoy that kind of loftiness.
From my experiences, it was never a productive working environment and in fact very childish. Those with that attitude are usually the first who are ignored or disrespected.
I took this time to be very friendly and laughingly reminded her that my Army buddy and I took very similar oaths of commitment to serve the same country, while mischieviously giving my buddy the "You did take the same oath to serve the same country right?" look.
Glad to see that my Army buddy (Moises) saw it the same way. We all had a good laugh!
In fact, I've never laughed as hard or more as I did last night. It was also weird to have been reacquainted with folks I met many years ago from different contexts and places.
I wanted to leave early but my new friend from Southern Canada (or more commonly known as northen Idaho) was having a good time. Turns out they don't have a lot of folks that are in the same situation as he is. I didn't mind as I can usually entertain myself quite effectively.
To say the least, I had an enjoyable time.
No comments:
Post a Comment