I haven't found any tangible success looking for jobs so I decided I'd look into other options to consider. As I've called around culinary schools in Utah, one of the interviews I had over the phone left me bewildered. The guy on the other side of the phone kept asking me what I thought about food. When I wake up, do I think about food? Are you passionate about food...
So I say, if I don't eat food, I starve. I hear nothing but silence on the other side and then hear a nervous chuckle.
We set up an appointment to visit the campus and when I get there a couple of days later, the guy I spoke with over the phone and I looked at each other with the-- where do I know you from?
Turns out he lives in my apartment complex and have spoken with him a few times.
Good thing I didn't yell at him! It was a good lesson on biting my tongue.
It made me think back to an experience I had many years ago. After serving a mission for my Church, I worked at a copy store. I had one customer that yelled at me. Working in retail, you realize that is usually the unwritten part of the job description.
The customer leaves and I was left shaken by that experience. So when I see this customer going back to our store again a few minutes later, I head to the back. But she sees me and waves for me to come see her. I did so. As I reached the counter, I prepared myself for another verbal beating but instead she apologized. Her sincerity really got to me. I decided then and there that I would do everything I can to never lose my temper or let others be victim because I have a "bad day".
I've had many experiences since then where I could have yelled at someone because of my impatience or frustration. My recent experience with the guy on the other side of the phone of the culinary school I am checking out, reinforced within me the choice I made years ago.
Much like the experience I had with the tailgater, I could have made choices based on the emotions I was beginning to feel. But I am glad I didn't. It is often very tempting and easier to "lose control" and lash out in anger. But I don't believe that one loses control of their emotions. They don't lose control but they choose to lose control. It is a choice that is made.
I still have a long way to go but I am grateful for these lessons I learned in August.
No comments:
Post a Comment