Saturday, March 31, 2012

March 2012- I have enough friends...

That's what two of my students said to me as their reasons why they refused to sit by each other.

Let me backup a second.

Part of my new responsibilities with my new job is to supervise lunch for 6th graders. We go to the playground for recess and then go back to our classroom to eat lunch.

There were two different groups that would always sit by themselves and always leave a mess.  Seeing no improvements after several reminders and corrections, I told them they couldn't sit by their friends for the next two days until they can show responsibility for making sure their area is kept clean.

So back to the kids...

When both of the kids, who were from different groups, told me they did not want to sit by each other because they "have enough friends",  I laughed and said:

"Boy, were those the wrong words to say to me!"

So while I was sitting in the front of the classroom working on a few things, I had them stand right next to me for the remaining lunch period.

Me: "I can always use more friends so why don't each of you stand next to me and be MY friends?"



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...