Monday, September 03, 2012

August 2012 Update- 'Git 'er done'

I posted this photo on my FB profile. But since many of you do not have an account, I decided to share it here as well. Now, don't go creatin' a FB account just for me, ya hear?


So what happened in August?

I started a new job working with high school kids. Come to find out, I'm actually enjoying working with this age group. I travel to Ogden on a daily basis from Salt Lake. The commute is long but I am finding it is a good way to listen to and contemplate on the previous Conference.

Although I'd really like to use FrontRunner, a commuter train from SLC to Ogden. But I keep leaving later than what I plan. If I leave my apartment at 6 am, I can catch the 6:25 train. I wake up at 4 so in theory it should be fine. But for some reason, my sofa won't allow me to leave until 6:30.

Ideally, I plan on driving only on the days when I have night classes helping me save time, mileage and with the ever increasing gas prices.

Here's hoping September will finally be the month I get to ride FrontRunner! But for sure, when the snow hits, I will be taking FrontRunner. Seriously, I mean it:)

Though, there are times when I miss the frequent funny and random moments I had working daily with 4-6th graders!


----
Started classes at Salt Lake Community College. It's been frustrating because as fast I keep adding classes, I also get dropped from them. So far, I've attended the required two consecutive classes but I am still not counted as being registered. From an instructional design point, SLCC's way of using technology is not user friendly nor is it intuitive at best.

In one of my many phone calls, the kind registrar finally figured out what I was struggling with--how to be added on a wait list for a class through their online services. But even after I did, I was still dropped because I did not check my school email giving me instructions on how to add the class properly. Here's hoping it gets resolve soon because tuition is due in a couple of days and registration is closed!

A funny thing happened, I fell asleep in class with my eyes open. Didn't realize it until I 'woke' up feeling everyone was watching me. Turns out the professor had asked me a question and everyone WAS staring at me!

I am taking World Civilization up to 1500 and Introduction to Astronomy. These classes are considered to fit as they are not too specific for my licensure program.


----
August provided me with the time I needed to reflect on the good things that's happened to me lately. Even though it is invigoratingly frustrating how the State Department of Education won't count my Masters degree, at least for right now, towards my teaching licensure, I am forcing myself to look at the many good things I can be thankful for.

I get to go to school again. I've never liked school (and still don't), ironic I know, but it's good to get my mind active again at least when I'm awake. I don't even want to think about how many more schooling I need to do! But I recognize this is one of those things I need to roll with if I want to be a teacher. And I really want to be a teacher.


----
Also, August provided me time to reconnect with people I met in my past and to get to know people I may normally don't interact with if circumstances had been different.

A missionary from my Church, who recently completed his two year mission, stayed with me for a few weeks and what a breath of fresh air he was! His enthusiasm for Jesus and love for the scriptures was refreshing. I am convinced he will accomplish many good things in his life as long as he continues to commit himself to his personal beliefs, values, and from the lessons and experiences he gained as a missionary.

It was indeed a privilege having him stay with me. The feeling of peace he brought into my home was more than enough to keep me going! I will always count those few weeks some of the most peaceful and comforting time in my life.

Another friend I was reconnected with is a family I met and help teach back in Oakland, California. Their child is now grown and was about to enter the Missionary Training Center in Provo to go on a  mission to where else? The Philippines.

As we got reacquainted again, I couldn't help but be grateful for the decision I made to serve my own mission. I am confident this child will grow to become a new and better person, just like how I grew from my own two year mission and just like my new friend who completed his own mission recently.

I didn't even really think about it before but now that I am writing this update, I find it interesting that just a couple of days before my friends from California arrived to enter the Missionary Training Center, another missionary who recently completed his own missionary service, just left my home.

It was a neat cycle to see and I feel quite privilege to have experienced both.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...