Sunday, November 03, 2013

October 2013 Update- Rough, Laugh, and Roll

Well folks. October was rough.

I learned a lot. About myself and others.

I also learned there are still reasons to laugh.





Here are some of what made me laugh this month:
Student A: "Why are you losing your hair?"

Me, with a straight face: "Because I eat too much chocolate"
I love the look my student gave me. A look of shock and disbelief.
And then I smiled. My student caught my sense of humor.



On a different time and day, a student asks:
"What are you dressing up as for Halloween?"
Me: "A poorly paid teacher"

Student: "But that's what you wear everyday! You should dress like a Navy guy since you were in the Navy."

Me: "You mean, the Air Force?"

Student: "Yeah, the Navy"

Me: "Ok"

My students crack me up! I really do enjoy laughing in my classroom with these amazing kids.







Some of the things I enjoy about being a teacher:

  • When I see my students "get it" and then they continue to work hard
  • When they say the funniest thing without trying to be funny (read what I wrote just previously)
  • When I see parents/guardians really care about their kid without hovering over them
  • My principal locking up the school at 5:30 pm-- it forces me to leave before then




Some of the things I find fascinating:
  • When parents think it's the other kid's (or someone else) fault since their kid is perfect and innocent of any mischievous wrong doing
  • There is more to teaching than just liking kids
  • Collaboration with the right folks can really influence a child for the better
  • Paperwork, at least in my job, is a necessary 'evil'
  • Being a problem-solver is an essential skill to have as a classroom teacher
  • Naming your migraines after a student can cause your eye to twitch uncontrollably
  • Having a sense of humor is a vital tool to being successful in a classroom full of kids




I had a conversation with a few parents recently which went something like this:
I am not here to talk about you. It really is not about you. It's about your kid. What can we do to help your kid be successful in school?
I recognize what you are telling me. But let's pause for a second and look at it from a different perspective.  I care about your kid. You care about your kid. So let's figure out a way to help your kid be successful in school.
 I must say, my conversations with some of the parents have went really well. 






Other things that happened in October:

Catching up with folks that taught me a lot.

The first weekend of October, I was reconnected with dear friends, mentors and teachers. I spent a couple of years with them in some of the most beautiful islands of the Pacific. By the very manner they lived their life, I learned who I can become. I don't know of any better way to say it.

From an early age, I learned that the ability to influence change knows no boundary, or is it limited by land or language.

To dear friends and family,  thank you for sharing with and including me in your lives! All y'all have helped me get to where I am right now. Thank you for showing there is so much good and beauty in this world!





Sometimes, things happen.

When those things happen, I am learning I need to do my best to move forward and roll with life as best as I know how with my head up and shoulder straight.

Moving one foot in front of another can go a long, long way.

It is neat to know there are folks to lean on.

I am grateful for the lessons I have learned from my past. These experiences have helped and prepared me to cope and respond with the appropriate mind frame when the unexpected happen.

There is still so much hope to look forward to and more reason to laugh.















"Burn baby. Burn."

I could not have said it any better myself.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jerome, it's Phani. I wanted to let you know I have a new email address now. It's yes2glee@gmail.com. Hope you are doing well, my friend.

Best,
Phani

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...