I went scuba diving three Saturdays ago in the sea of Japan and I loved it. Well, actually my friends went scuba diving while I floundered in the water.
The wetsuit I had rented was bigger than what I should have gotten so each time I exhaled water, the air bubbles would fill my suit and send me flying back to the top of the ocean. When I finally did get those air bubble out (my friend said that it looked like I was having a panic attack whenever I wiggled), I would sink like a boulder in the bottom of the ocean floor. Good thing it was only 25-30 feet of water. When I was in the bottom, I still struggled with the bouyancy part. I "leapfrog" from rock to rock, hence my bruise and scraped knees because I couldn't find the balance
between floating like a balloon and sinking like the Titanic.
Swimming back to shore was a sight to see as I battled the waves. The waves had a 2-3 foot swell which didn't help me any. If only I had someone videotaping my every move, it would have made for an interesting film. I realized that the only way for me to ever get back to shore was to let the waves take me in. The power of the water when it snatched me clean from hugging the rocks was just so impressive. My tank was out of air and decided snorkeling back would be the better choice instead of swimming under the water.
Two weeks ago, friends from church and I went to Hachinohe beach. The waves were at least 8 feet high and boy was that fun riding the waves. I should have bought my scuba gear along...
I still had fun though! From what I saw, it sure was a pretty dive. I can't wait to go again (if they let me).