I received a lunch invitation from the American Red Cross about a month ago. The event was to recognize the American Red Cross volunteers. To say the least, I was looking forward for that event. Not for the recognition exactly, just for the free lunch. When the day finally came, I left my office to go claim my spot on the table. I got there and everyone was looking at me. I walked around the room and greeted everyone I knew. Still, everyone kept eyeing me from their places on the table. Some with chicken hanging from their mouths while others knifed through a steak ever so gently. I then realized why they were glaring at me, I had forgotten to send my RSVP!
I laughed out loud, waved to everyone I knew then left to go buy me some apple at the dining facility.
Tomorrow is the day I travel to go to the Tokyo Temple. Our branch is scheduled to go on Friday. It's at least an 8 hour trip by bus or 5-7 hour by train (depending on the exit I choose to take). No, I don't get lost. In fact I've never been lost. I've been on multiple adventure trips though. Train costs $180 each way from Misawa to Tokyo. But I found a bed at the temple annex for $10. So that makes up for it.
I've also been coordinating with LDS members from the Tokyo South Stake (English speaking and also Japanese members) for a single adult devotional this Saturday. (A stake is a geographical unit made up of different congregation. A district is the same. I attend the Honshu Military District which is composed of all the military units within the main island of Japan. We are called a district because we have fewer members in our congregation, Misawa is unique because of it's sheer size, over 300 with at least 200 attending regularly).
I am excited to see how it's going to play out. The coordination has been done through email conversations. Unfortunately, I will not be able to participate in the activity but will return for the devotional that night. It will be a day filled with commute. Where I will be and where the devotional is is a two hour train ride. I used to think traveling two hours is long but being on the Tokyo trains is entirely differnt and exciting! Reminds me of taking BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). We couldn't find a place close to Yokota Air Base but I still think it will be an exciting day! We'll be in Yokohama eating Chinese food. At least, I will be.
There's not that many involved single adults here and I've been told that they don't get a lot of people attending there as well due to various reasons. I am just excited to see who I will meet. Last time I went to an activity, I met an ambassador from South America. I got to practice my broken Spanish.
The activity for the single adults is at the same time a member of the Area Presidency (Regional Directors for our Church) will be giving the leadership training for the leadership of our congregations in our district. I am really excited for this training! Our church relies on volunteers to manage the temporal and spiritual welfare of our members, and are provided regular leadership training to provide that support. I'm amazed at how it's all done. For example, each family unit, each single adult is also considered a family unit, have a pair of home teachers that visit monthly to watch over them. Females over the age of 18,in addition to the home teachers (male), also have a pair of visiting teachers (female).
Each male ages 14 and up are called and have the privilege of serving as home teachers.
Each member in our congregation also have additional callings. My other responsibilities includes representing the single adults and to assist the full-time missionaries assigned to our branch. This includes visiting and taking care of the needs of families that have more than one denomination in their homes, those that are investigating the Church, and the recent converts to the LDS church. I work closely with our branch president and assist him in his capacity to be a steward for every one in our branch. In fact, every age group has someone responsible over them. Young Men/Young Women for kids 12 to 18, Relief Society for women ages 18 and over, Elders Quorum for men over the age of 18 and up. We also have a Primary organization that takes care of children 4 until 12. Each age group has a support system, the branch president oversees all of the organizations. We all work together in strengthening the lives of the individual and families.
The majority of our congregation are affiliated with the United States Air Force. Some work for the Department of Defense as teachers and contractors. We have one English language teacher that travels two hours to our meetings every Sunday.
------
I can't wait for my classes to start my Master in Special Education but it keeps getting postponed. I'm also thinking twice about the organization I'm trying to get my Teaching Engish as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certification from. I'm researching to see if they really are a legit company.
My brother came back from the Middle East safe. I'm honored to have a brother who volunteered to serve our country. He made history but his name will never be found in any history books but that's okay with me.
I wanted to go, in fact I tried to volunteer but didn't get the opportunity. Not because I want to be part of the fight or because "it's something cool". I wanted to be there to support those that are there.
I've never seen war first hand. But from what I've heard from friends and colleagues, it is not an easy place to talk about. Hence my profound respect to those who answers to the call of duty.
United States Military Code of Conduct, Article VI:
I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.