
(click the picture to see it bigger)
Today’s highlights: My co-worker brought me a plate of lasagna for lunch. His wife made it the night before but because I couldn't come to their house for dinner, had him bring me the leftovers. She also sent a loaf of banana bread. Yummy! I love leftovers, especially when it’s good food. It's funny because everytime I go visit my brother, he cooks for me from sratch. I have to keep telling him that I am okay with leftovers...I don't know what it is but I love leftovers especially when someone else made it. I also figured out what my talent is: getting invited to dinner or showing up just as dinner is ready...
---
My English Conversation class started pretty slow today (I teach once a week at a local community center after work, to catch up most of you). I had to watch my tone to make sure my frustration didn’t start affecting my student’s learning. I had to calmly remind myself that it was I that needed to be more patient since they show up weekly to learn from me.
We learned adjectives last week and I wanted to build on that more. I tried to get them to start a discussion, but it felt like I was pulling teeth. It was then that realization hit me: they had no idea what I was asking them to do!
So I used an example: My brother is shy. I then asked: Why is he shy? I asked for examples. Yukari took her turn and said her sister was upset because of her son. When I asked why she was upset, it apparently worked. Minds began to wake up! Ikuko said because he is a teenager. Everyone laughed! I could see the wheels in their heads turning. Mitzukasu then said: He’s a troublemaker! Everyone was so excited to learn a new word. So I took that and went with it.
What makes him a troublemaker? Kayo added because he doesn’t go to school. Why, I kept asking, because he doesn’t like school...Some stammered and were embarrassed because they couldn't contribute but pulling them out of their shell wasn't as hard as I expected. They too began to participate more.
It wasn’t much but it got the class started in understanding what I was teaching. We spent 20 minutes giving examples of why Yukari's nephew was a troublemaker. One of my students reminded me that it was break time but I didn’t want to stop right there yet. Yukari was still thinking. I waited for her to finish her thought. After she gave another example, I cheered for everyone and let them go. I was so excited that I couldn't help but be excited!
These adults motivate and inspire me. They come to class weekly to learn and to improve their English. I don’t do much but show up to class with energy and enthusiasm. They seem to like our class but not as much as I enjoy coming to class. All they really need is a little more confidence and the ability to recognize their progress and their ability to speak improves. There are times when I have to pull and encourage them along especially when they start to shrink back into their comfort zone. But most of the time its them that pull me to be a better teacher. They learn better and participate more when they have confidence. I learn a lot from them.
They told me about the flea market in Hachinohe. They were very excited that I was familiar enough that I knew the landmarks around Hachinohe. We learned to recognize landmarks three classes ago so I was even more pleased that they remembered that word. I smiled and told them I knew Hach because I’ve gotten lost there many times, or as I like to call it, ‘have gone exploring’.
Most of my students have been in my class for the 5th time. They come from different backgrounds and lifestyles. I have a university professor, housewife, a nurse, salesman, daycare provider just to name a few. I have a balanced class of males and females. They are so smart and very dedicated in what they do. Next week is their time to teach. I can't wait to see them regurgitate what they've learned this past 5 weeks. It is their time to share what they know whether it is magic tricks, cooking or their hobbies, I am enthusiastically looking forward to it!
No comments:
Post a Comment