Monday, June 18, 2007

Fun run



When the sun comes out and the weather is cooperative, our wing does a fun run. Every organization, from the Japanese, the Navy, Army and Air Force members join together to run. Running in formation isn't the best for your knees, but it sure bouys up the spirit. The lady in the back with a hat on is our lone civilian representative. As you can see, we were more focused on getting our picture taken. We normally don't smile for the camera but since it was a beautiful day I made an exception.

Our first group of ROTC cadets will be leaving tomorrow. The majority of them were born in 1988. Boy, I never felt older after learning their birthdays. They're a good group of folks. They are sharp, think for themselves and very capable. The future of the Air Force is good. We just need to make sure we mentor them right when they first come in. It is one of the reasons I enjoy getting involved with the summer visiting program. This summmer's program has cadets from several ROTC detachments all over the continental U.S of A. It is our first year working with them.

All our previous visiting cadets, at least from the first two summers I've been involved with this program, were from the Air Force Academy. There really isn't a big difference between the AF Academy and ROTC cadets. They all have the motivation and the capacity to excel in anything they do.

I have gotten to know many of them and have great respect for each one of them. The only thing I regret is that I won't have the opportunity to work with them.

I am just glad that I had more than 2 days warning to prepare and organize social events. I was able to solicit several organizations in assisting with sponsoring and providing support. I was able to get some budget and work around the others.

I didn't expect to enjoy, really enjoy coordinating activities without a budget. But as the old adage goes: where there's a will, there's Jerome trying to find a way to get it done (successfully).

I attended my brother's pre-promotion party today. He earned his promotion well. He worked hard and achieved it. I feel very privileged to be on the same base as he is.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...