Mike J., a fellow facebooker, reminded me this morning that our nation elected Obama "OUR" president, not just for a specific party or ethnicity. He is also MY president.
I went to work this morning feeling good that I live in a country where I can comfortably work and live despite of differences in values, credos, religious and political beliefs. I couldn't help but reflect on how resilient my fellow countrymen and women really are.
Despite of our differences in opinions, I didn't wake up to riots, fires, civil disobedience or to a calamitous day because of the results of our nation's electoral process.
While I did not vote for him and still wary of what he really stands for, I will stand with him because he IS my president.
What I did learn from this is that I need to become even more educated, and better informed so that I can continue to speak for my own beliefs and values.
So today, this is my pledge to President-Elect Obama:
As an American, I will not only respect him because of his office but will take an active part in helping him accomplish what he sets out to do,
I will continue to make my own voice heard so that he knows what I value and hold important to me,
I will be civil in voicing my disagreements,
I will be a positive contributor and not a detractor,
I will not only pray for him but will do as much as I can so that he can have the wisdom, and strength to accomplish what will be a very difficult job ahead,
I will not only help him move this country forward but to help him as much as I can to continue making this country better and to continue making a positive contribution to the rest of the world.
This isn't much but I hope that in my own simple way, I can continue to show why I love being an American.
1 comment:
Powerful!
Post a Comment