Monday, January 05, 2009

More in '09

In addition to going to grad school full time in August and researching my own family history, here's what else I am involved with this year (at least what I currently am aware of):

Work-
In addition to coordinating, facilitating other experts training programs and developing our multi-media training, I will also start the process of developing the University's Emergency and Disaster education and response program. I will later be the project manager for this program.

My boss is very good in ensuring I have the knowledge and experience before I officially take on this responsibility.

I'm glad she is not just "dumping" it on my desk. Although I'm sure I'll be able to do it if that was the case. But to have the duties without the complete responsibility helps ease and create a smoother transition.



Education

I start the second semester in my program.
Wednesdays again will be very busy. My schedule will be as follow- Mon, Wed, Fri- Classes start at 6:30 am. Wed night I won't get done with a class until 10 pm.

I will still go to work during the day. I'm really glad that I have a supportive boss and work atmosphere.

As to not misinform those who read this, the early classes are extra curricular courses such as swimming, biking and running.

I'll only have one class this semester that meets once a week related to grad school.


Volunteering-

The local Red Cross chapter has me on a leadership track to become one of the Disaster Assessment and Response team leader.

I am also in track to act as one of their Community Liaison member responsible to coordinate and educate the public on disaster response and preparedness.

Yes, it is very similar to my additional responsibilities at work which is another reason I love my job. My boss found out about my volunteer efforts and is very supportive of my off duty commitments.

I have also signed up to volunteer for the Habitat for Humanity. Building houses has always fascinated me. At least I can learn something about a trade outside my own profession. I look forward to using a hammer and learning what it takes to build a house.

Just a side note info for some of ya, I worked as a roofer for 2 weeks in California fter my Church mission. I was afraid of heights and didn't do very well climbing up and down the rickety ladder carrying 50 pound shingles.

Before anyone thinks I am overwhelming myself, rest assure in knowing I have control of how much or how little I get involve with my volunteer commitments.

I have also learned to value taking time for myself, to relax and enjoying my free time.

5 comments:

Rob Abney said...

Dude you sound super busy. Best luck in school and everything else you are involved in.

Don't forget to sleep.

JRome said...

Thanks. I've been having difficulties sleeping. There's been a couple of times I didn't get sleepy until 3 am.

But don't worry, it only sounds I'm super busy but in all actuality, I'm not.

Tiffany said...

Wow! I feel like a slacker! I think it's awesome how much you do! Best wishes!

JRome said...

Yikes. It was never my intent to sound boastful...

If one was to feel like a slacker, it'd be me. I've never travelled as much as someone I know who also teaches elementary school kids everyday and yet manages to go out of town on a regular basis...

Lingling said...

Gud luck with everything! looks like you're going to have a busy year which is good, 'coz right now i still don't know what to do this year! guess it's time 2 start setting goals :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...