I fell asleep on my couch New Year's Eve. I was invited to attend several activities that night but I wanted to relax instead.
Here's a summary of my first week:
New Years Day-
Went to Provo to reconnect with friends from my days in high school. It was great to be eating fudge and snacking on the kitchen counter with their family all over again. I used to catch a ride with them when I went to early morning seminary.
It's even more amazing that their family invited me to spend a day with them after all of these years. Their parents flew from Connecticut to spend their holidays with their children. It was good to catch up. It was just weird seeing how grown up their youngest are! I recall their son being seven years old. Now he's 21 and attending school.
2 Jan-
My roommate and I watched the University of Utah vs. University of Alabama football game. I lost my voice cheering the Utes to their 13-0 streak!
3 Jan
Shoveled snow for two of our neighbors, 1 a widow. She was so grateful that she gave my friend and I chocolate bars.
Shoveled all morning until early afternoon.
Attended the party for the widows and widowers of our congregation. Live band and music, catered event just for them. I was content washing the dishes for two hours. All of us later cleaned the cultural hall. It was a great experience working together in helping others.
4 Jan
Sustained to my new responsibility in our local congregation.
Our Church is organized and led by a lay ministry (none of our local leaders get paid). I was the secretary for the Elder's Quorum (a group of guys usually 19-40) and will sorely miss my association with them but my new responsibilities as the Ward Mission Leader will allow me to serve the rest of our congregation.
One of my primary responsibilities will be in reaching out to those living within our ward (congregation) boundaries but not necessarily of our faith. The bishop of our ward, a welding man by trade, is not only responsible for the members of our faith but also has a charge to ensure the welfare of all those within our community are provided for.
I hope to shoulder those responsibilities to help him and the other leaders in our ward.
I have carefully and prayerfully sought for inspiration in selecting those who will work with me. After the call is extended to them and if they accept, they will be presented before the congregation. Everyone in attendance can then show their support by raising their right hand.
I like that no one works alone in accomplishing our Church responsibilities. By raising our hand to sustain our leaders, we take it upon ourselves to do what we can, if not all we can, to help them succeed in their stewardship. It was humbling for me seeing so many hands showing their support when I was sustained yesterday.
While I've had several opportunities to serve in this responsibility since I was 17 and in the many different places I have lived in, it's amazing that I still have so much to learn and so much more to do.
As many of you know, I served a full-time mission for my Church for two years in the Philippines. This responsibility of being ward mission leader is different from that experience as I will be living in the same geographic location instead of moving every few months or so. And instead of postponing other responsibilities and focusing all my energy, time and resources as I did for my two year Church mission, I will continue with my duties with my full time employer, further my grad studies and other commitments I've had previously.
Another big difference from this calling and from my two year mission is that I can go on dates, and watch TV (not necessarily in order of importance:).
An item I want to educate everyone I meet with is to hopefully better inform others in understanding that the resources of our Church is available to everyone regardless of faith, creed, or beliefs.
If someone loses a job, the Church has an Employment center that provides career workshops for free and other professional assistance such as enhancing job skills. Or if someone is interested in learning more about their own family history, we also have these services available without cost or other hidden obligations.
But mainly my team and I will focus on reaching out to our neighbors. By getting to know them, we hope to be able to assist, if not provide, with their specific needs. Be it shoveling snow, repairing a roof, or perhaps even taking out their garbage. I also hope to invite to our Church activities and help them feel part of our ward community.
If they want to join our Church, great. But we will and do not base our actions or motivation on that principle but by what the Lord himself taught:
John 15: 22
Love one another as I have loved you
Mosiah 23: 15
Every man should alove his neighbor as himself, that there should be no contention among them.
I really look forward to serving and I will share more of my experiences as the year progresses.
No comments:
Post a Comment