My other roommate came home around 1 or so and was quite taken that I was still up. I didn't have any response but that I was hijacked...I had a blast getting outside of my comfort zone and slept in the following day. I think I slept in until later that evening.
My sister and her family came to spend a week with me here in Salt Lake. It was a great visit. We drove to Zions on Monday, but due to the winter weather, we decided to drive back up to Salt Lake instead of going to Arches.
Before I show the pictures, here are other highlights from December:
- My car breaking down beginning of December and getting fixed right before New Years. The head gasket blew.
I was driving back from Payson, Utah from a wedding reception when I get the feeling I need to exit. As soon as I exited the off ramp to Springville, my car died. I had enough momentum to pull into the parking lot. It was around 8 pm when it happened.
Speaking of feeling old, the last time I saw the groom (Jared) was when he was 16. He is now 26.
- I went to Shelley Idaho for Christmas. A friend from high school and his wife invited me to spend it with them. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed just getting away from the city and being back in the country.
- 3-year old Austin confidently and reassuringly told me: "Jerome, you can babysit my kids too".
- Having 3-year old twins wake me up at 6 am every morning was quite fun. They always had smiles to match their energy and very happy. They kept inviting me to eat breakfast with them. But I kept saying that it was too early. And that I couldn't because my breath stunk.
Their parents had to keep reminding them to leave me alone.
One morning, Vance knelt by where I was sleeping and softly said with a big smile, "Jerome, your breath stinks. You should brush your teeth so you can eat breakfast with me."
He not only acknowledged that my breath stunk, but he also gave a solution so I can finally eat with them.
- I experienced one of my first dilemma. When I had the three children to myself out in public and I had to use the bathroom.
I experienced my second dilemma when one of the kids needed to use the bathroom. Conscious and aware of where I was at, I took one of the kids to the bathroom waited outside while keeping my eyes on the other two. Looking back now, I should have just taken all three into the bathroom.
- The youngest, Marin, had fun sliding down the playground of the burger joint Arctic Circle. I asked the locals for an indoor playground and after driving around and finding out they were closed, I headed to Arctic Circle, the closest one with an indoor slide.
I also found out later that slides and poopy diapers don't mix. I ended up giving Marin a bath and washing all her clothes when we got back. But at least for an hour she looked happy playing. No wonder the other kids avoided her.
- Kids are amazing. They know just how to make you feel welcome. I guess that's why I enjoy being around them. These kids understand what choices are and the consequences of their decisions. They are disciplined by love without the use of threat or fear. They are also allowed to be kids. I respect that a lot and hope to raise my own the same way. I recall a friend telling me about a book she got that helps her raise kids.
Here are some of the photos with my family:
St. Madeline Cathedral, South Temple Salt Lake City.
Running towards the pigeons.
Stain glass in Cathedral of St. Madeline.
Utah State Capitol. Like nephew like Uncle. Two of the most good looking folks.
A classic two-year old's pose. I can see me using this to later blackmail him when he's older- "Remember when you threw a tantrum?"
Inside the Tabernacle on Temple Square, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Thanksgiving Point, Museum of Ancient Life.
This is the Place Heritage Park.
Cove Fort, Utah.
Canyon Overlook, Zions National Park Utah.
Future Ute Fans. President's Circle University of Utah.
No comments:
Post a Comment