I realized that with a busy schedule, I need to make sure I find balance in all I do. I went to class for two weeks and didn't go the next week. I think that's a pretty good 50-50 in accomplishing my goals. How's that for being balanced:)
One of the things I am trying to do this year is to do something new or at least try something new at least on a monthly basis.
January introduced me to snowshoeing. Here are some pictures. Hiking up the mountains was fun.
The view from the top was cold and windy, but still breathtaking... I enjoyed the serenity it provided.
But sliding back down on your bum was even more fun.
It cut at least an hour off the hike back down. We made a luge on the side of the mountain and boy was that exhilarating!
Other things:
- I am realizing that my classes are not as hard as I thought they were going to be. But because they are not as challenging, I am finding myself getting bored. Hence, I am trying to find ways to keep me involved and actively engaged in class. If I don't, then I get lazy. It simply involves a lot of work. Which for now, is the reason why my leaning towards not getting a PhD.
- Work picked up speed. While the project I worked on for 6 months got pushed aside, and I am no longer designing and developing any current training programs which is admitingly frustrating as this was part of the reason I accepted this job offer, I have to keep telling myself that I need to take advantage of this opportunity of having a job where I can do my school work. Focusing on "what is" and not "what isn't" is what I am trying to spend my energy. It's not as easy but it's part of making my time more productive. I can sit and complain on what I don't have or I can spend time looking at all the possibilities of what I can do...it's an attitude change I am trying to hit head on.
- I am no longer as involved with the Red Cross as I'd like to because of prioritizing my time.
- I decided to stay as a research assistant with a professor in developing her online course because this may be the only opportunity I get to designing and developing. It may prove to be something I can use for my capstone project for grad school. After speaking with my advisors it may not be a good use of time as it has significant design and implementation limitations. But even though it may not be the right fit for my capstone, I may be able to use this for my other classes if not just to get experience.
- I have now set a self-imposed curfew. No answering phones after 9 pm as I go to sleep at 10 pm and wake up at 5 so I can study the scriptures. It is my goal even if just for a few moments before I head to my 6:30 class. I used to wake up at 4 am, take a shower then study the scriptures. After a month of not being consistent, I moved my wake up time to 5.
But now, I am finding I don't have enough time to really think about what I am studying. I'm still working out the kinks. I enjoy reading the scriptures and learning from it. I don't have an extensive knowledge of the Old Testament but I am seeing principles that I can apply into my life right now. What principle helped me thus far? The creation. It took 7 days (periods) to create the Earth and the Lord took a break on the seventh day. I realized I too need to prioritize my time and I also need to enjoy taking a break now and again.
- Had lunch with a friend. But our schedules haven't synced since then. She's a good girl and I'd really like to get to know her better. Should I really spend time with someone who has not shown interest? From past relationships, I've learned to value honesty in communication. It proves to be more beneficial. I've come to respect them more when I can have an honest and open relationship. Don't worry, I'll keep trying.
- Taught a class in my congregation about what the Atonement of the Savior is and how we can implement it in our lives more. The class is for guests and visitors to our congregation. We find ourselves too often burdened with so much unnecessary baggage but the message I tried to convey is that we don't have to go through it alone. We don't need to keep beating ourselves over the head. Yes we need to know what our weaknesses are to keep us humble, but we also need to recognize the good we are doing in our lives. We need to recognize the progress we are making and especially what the Savior did for us in helping us to be happy with our life right now and at this moment. One way we can accept the atonement is by following and living the gospel of Jesus Christ. It's all He asks of us. To try and do as He did, to listen and follow Him, and to live life with gusto and purpose.
- Gave a talk in my congregation on the same day regarding what it means to be a Christian. I approached it by focusing on the need for us to do good wherever we find ourselves, with anyone we meet and to reach out to our family, friends and our neighbors. Before we can ask them to make necessary changes in their lives, we need to have sincere and unconditional love for them.
One important principle of Christianity, if not the most important, is our capability to love and reach out to others. Yes, there are many reasons why we don't or shouldn't do it. Some fear rejection, others simply don't understand the reason to do so while others are intimidated for one reason or another.
I made the suggestion that gaining the importance of reaching out as a Christian to those around us occurs when we individually gain understanding of who the Savior is and what He means to our own personal lives. When that happens, our love for ourselves and others will naturally follow. To help us gain a desire to reach out to others, I suggested three ways for the congregation to consider:
1) Invite our neighbors to our home
2) Include someone we don't know in the congregation in our lives
3) Pray for increase of love for those we consider hard to love and do something nice for them.
Well, that's it for now. Until my February update...
2 comments:
Fun stuff Jerome. I would love to get out snowshoeing sometime.
Sledding on your bum looked really fun!
Post a Comment