81 inches: I learned that if I stretch my hands above my head, from the tip of my fingers to the soles of my feet, my reach is 81 inches. It came in pretty handy during the Mothers without Borders boutique in measuring the height of where we wanted to hang things.
It's "brah" not "bro": While in Atlanta, the "Otha Jay" that's what he had on his name tag (Days Inn) said I am the first non-black person he's met who said it correctly. It's 'brah' short for brother. I'd have to thank my Hawaiian roommate from college. I think I got it from him. If not, I take all the credit back.
The hotel I stayed at was decent and inexpensive, provided easy access to the airport courtesy of MARTA, via the Peachtree station which made a brief walk in the business district of Atlanta accessible.
Here are some pictures from October:
These are the Stenquists. They are amazing! I love going to their home for dinners. As you might guess, every holiday event, their house is decked out in the spirit of the holidays. That's a dragon and their trunk was dressed out to be the mouth of the dragon.
Here's my car's trunk. I like to keep things simple--Actually, I was just plain lazy:)
Photos from my trip to the Yucatan Peninsula:
Hotel Playa Del Karma, where I stayed in Playa Del Carmen.
Small, quaint, comfortable and very affordable.
Small, quaint, comfortable and very affordable.
My first day, 28 Oct, in the Yucatan, I left Playa at 12:30 am for Valladolid to catch another bus to Chichen Itza.
I arrived at Valladolid at 3 am and the next bus to Chichen was at 6 am.
For the next three hours I walked around Valladolid.
When the 6 am bus arrived the driver kept telling me that Chichen was still closed and wouldn't open until 8 am. I reassured him that everything will be 'dai jobu'. Yes in Japanese. Don't ask me why.
From my research before the trip, going early will allow me to beat the crowd of tourists.
When the 6 am bus arrived the driver kept telling me that Chichen was still closed and wouldn't open until 8 am. I reassured him that everything will be 'dai jobu'. Yes in Japanese. Don't ask me why.
From my research before the trip, going early will allow me to beat the crowd of tourists.
I made the 45 minute bus ride from Valladolid to Chichen Itza. The road was a very narrow two lane flat roads with trees and green just everywhere. The Yucatan Peninsula is very flat. For more information, check out Lonely Planet's article. The bus driver dropped me off the side of the road (just left of the sign across from where the dogs are). Not sure if you can see the misty fog but it was a lot thicker when I stepped off the bus when I saw two shadows walking towards me. Then I see this husky-- thinking at first it was a wolf made me freeze on my tracks. I thought I was a gonner when the dog kept coming towards me. But he/she was nice. Thank goodness a kid later grabbed it by the collar and let me pass.Whew! As I sat outside the entrance to Chichen, more people started arriving. I saw a couple walking and let them ahead of me in the ticket line. We started talking and found out they were from Switzerland, David and Bridgette. We ended up sharing the guide and paid $200 pesos each. This is Felipe from Merida. He spoke French, Spanish, and German, the same languages that David and Bridgette spoke. So it was neat to listen to all three languages during the tour. I was planning on going to Ek Balam as well but I was exhausted. The crowd had gathered by 10:30 and they were like ants swarming over an unwrapped candy bar. Glad I made the decision to go early. At 2:30 pm I left Chichen via the ADO bus back to Playa. David and Bridgette were on the same bus--turns out I was one of the last folks to buy the seats. Simon who I sat next to was from Australia. After working in London decided to visit South America for the next 4 months before heading back to Australia. He was staying at a hostel in Playa. Right after I got off the bus, I ran into a group of LDS missionaries. All 12 of them were heading back to Chotumel, a 5 hour bus ride. Chotumel is close to Guatemala. |
The next day, I decided to go snorkeling in Cozumel. As I waited in line, I saw another set of missionaries.
I also rented a scooter and drove around the island and ate at a local restaurant. When I make it back there, I need to remember to go back to the scooter place right behind McDonald's. He gave me the better deal. One was too cheap and I didn't think the scooters were reliable. Another one was too expensive.
Later that Saturday night, 30 Oct, I went with the missionaries to visit a family they were teaching.
I also rented a scooter and drove around the island and ate at a local restaurant. When I make it back there, I need to remember to go back to the scooter place right behind McDonald's. He gave me the better deal. One was too cheap and I didn't think the scooters were reliable. Another one was too expensive.
Later that Saturday night, 30 Oct, I went with the missionaries to visit a family they were teaching.
That's me swimming under one of the corals. No, not really. That's Kwanchee (sp?) our guide. I'm the one taking the photo.
I have a tendency to order for 2. I didn't really like Mexican food but now that I've tasted the real thing. I love 'em! I'll probably name my first kid-- Mole'.
The day before I left, 1 Nov, I decided to take the colectivo to XCaret. The following are pictures from XCaret.
Swimming in the underground rivers (cenote).
I was swimming in the dark when I felt something rub against my body--then hearing some sounds. I freaked out of course. Until I saw that it was another couple swimming in the dark with me. From then on out, I never saw or heard from anyone again.
I was swimming in the dark when I felt something rub against my body--then hearing some sounds. I freaked out of course. Until I saw that it was another couple swimming in the dark with me. From then on out, I never saw or heard from anyone again.
Papanta Flying men performers from Veracruz, Mexico.
After my excursions, I took the colectivo to Cancun to Hotel Azul Sensatori where my cousin Jan was getting married. With the help of one of the passengers who spoke English, I made it to the hotel. I had to wait to get cleared as I was not a guest of the resort but after a few minutes of checking my name with the wedding list, made it. Yes, I was late for the ceremony but glad I made it to the reception where the food was plenty :) I got there at 5:30 and the wedding ceremony started at 4:30 pm.
It was great to see them! It was neat to be invited to their wedding.
Glad that it all worked out and I was able to find affordable tickets.
Thanks Kayak.com!
It was great to see them! It was neat to be invited to their wedding.
Glad that it all worked out and I was able to find affordable tickets.
Thanks Kayak.com!
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment