Thursday, December 02, 2010

November 2010 Update- Just call me Joe

Here are some highlights from November:

- I got my braces out.

- I fried turkey for the first time and boy was it yummy! I didn't have a deep fryer so I cut the turkey up into small pieces. Eating fried turkey still made me sleepy. Next time, I'm cooking up some seafood for the main course as well.

- Went to a fast food joint and gave my name to the cashier. I repeated my name twice by spelling: J-E-R-O-M-E but no luck. In frustration, the cashier later said, "You know what, I'll just call you Joe."

- Went to an Ear, Nose, and Throat Specialist for a follow-up visit about my sore throat. After reporting I was fine, the doc said: "You have promonasia".

Me: What's that?
Doc: Your ears protrude too much. We've got a great surgeon here that can pull them back for you.
Me: No thank you. My throat is doing just fine.

After I left the doctor's office, I looked up promonasia and couldn't find the term the doc used. But I did learn this: the surgery called otoplasty, to pull back your ears, are common in Asia, especially in Japan. Much like widening the eyes for a more western look and bleaching of skin.

One day, I'd like to run an exchange program for those that tan here in the U.S. with those that bleach their skin in Asia. That would be an interesting cultural exchange, I think.

My tomato plant sprouted one tomato.It doesn't look very appetizing as I left it out in the freezing cold. But hey, I tried late and one ain't so bad right?

I also had couchsurfers from London for a couple of days.Their original host cancelled the last moment so while they were on their way to SLC, they contacted me. Glad it worked out for all of us.  They were travelling across country via Greyhound before they headed out to New Zealand to live there for a year. Their Greyhound stories were classic! Riding Greyhound is an experience in itself so it was fun swapping stories especially from foreigners using American public transportation. They were working as camp counselors back East and travelled down to Florida, New Mexico (just to name a few). They then headed to Boise, Idaho to Canada and down the West coast before flying to New Zealand.

They wanted to watch the sunset up on the mountains on their last day so I took them by my work at the University of Utah. They introduced me to light photography. Here are some of the photos taken:

 

I tried to write my name but ran out of time
 
 My name just had too many letters I guess.

 Coming down the mountain after sunset. Rupak is behind me while Rich took this photo out of nowhere. Just a piece of advice, try not to use flash photography when the fellow behind you is trying to adjust to the dark coming down a steep mountain...I couldn't help but laugh at how blind I'd become hence me just sitting here. This was his second shot. Both times the flash went off. I couldn't help but laugh. 

After capturing writing our names in the sky, this was the highlight of Richard and Rupak's light photography exhibition.

Richard showing his drawing skills in my apartment.

The next morning I took them to the Greyhound station on their way to Boise before Canada. These two blokes from London were fun. I laughed a lot when I was with them.


Well, May 2011 is coming right up and I'm excited as I finally get to finish my Masters. My GRE wasn't as good as expected but after taking some classes and getting A's in them, my probationary period proved to be a success and was finally accepted officially in the program. 

I actually only have one required class left but I figured I'll take one more just for fun.  It'll be good to finally be over with this stage of my life. I look forward to my next adventure... 

Here are some more candid shots they took:






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...