Friday, December 23, 2011

December 2011 Update-- I got a Job!!




Last week I was able to shadow a teacher for a couple of hours for 5 days. I was not sure about teaching so it was good for me to observe an actual teacher. Turns out the teacher I ended up observing is a retired Air Force Linguist.

As a side note, during my interview, my interviewers informed me the teacher I observed gave me a high recommendation. On a scale from 1-5 the teacher gave me me a 3.5-4. I was deeply humbled by that.

I was applying for the group instructor position but went with the intent of demonstrating my teaching skills and for them to see my potential. And if they liked my potential, to offer me a different job than what I was applying for. It worked!

After observing a 6th grade teacher for 4 days, I demo taught. It was on a Friday. Boy, was I nervous! I kept messing up and the teacher I shadowed had to remind me to breath and relax!

The kids were even more amazing! They were there willing to help me be successful and were behaving really well. When I forgot something, they'd politely raise their hands and whisper to me what I needed to do.

I was impressed by their words of encouragement and their excitement in my being a teacher. The day before one of the kids asked if I was going to be a teacher. I told her I wasn't sure as that really wasn't up to me-- she then piped by saying "but I like you as my teacher!" Kids are amazingly giving.

I hope I can contribute something to their goodness and help add a solid foundation for them to be successful now and later in life when they need it most. 

I was expecting to hear back last Friday but when 5 pm came with no news, I decided to enjoy being in Ouray CO. My friend and his wife were going ice climbing so along with one of their friends, I joined them.  They didn't really care if I was an expert nor did they give a fuss I did not climb both days. I tried it and went on a hike later and played with their dog! I grew to love dogs that weekend.

Here are some photos from my trip:

We got to the ice park first (6:30 am). I think I had about 5 layers on. But it did warm up a bit when the sun finally hit the canyons.

I was impressed by the folks next to us

Cascade Falls

Box Canyon


I must admit, folks that respect who you are and the decisions you make, are hard to come by so when they come into my life, I do appreciate them even more! I enjoyed their company very much.

This past Tuesday, 12/21/11, I decided to send a follow-up email requesting a status on my application. The following day, Wednesday 12/22/11, I got an email from one of the interviewers welcoming me to the school with the notification I was being offered the position of School Wide Instructor.

It wasn't what I applied for, but my intent was met as this position fits me better. This responsibility will allow me to be with a full time teacher every day and in a way, this will be a less stressful introduction into the world of being an elementary school teacher.

From January until June, I will be a teacher's aide. And if I improve enough, I can start into their teacher-in-training program starting in March until June (which is what I am planning on qualifying for).

This route is really what I was looking for as this will provide me with better preparation and foundation into becoming a full time teacher starting in Fall of 2012.

I was also very impressed by the interviewers honesty during the interview. It played a big factor in my decision in accepting their offer. I left the interview with confidence they were very sensitive to helping me be successful.

The starting pay is not much. In fact, I took a huge pay cut, enough so that a friend of mine joked "aren't you supposed to get paid more as you get more education?" I couldn't help but laugh with him!

But honestly, I could not ask for something better. I am willing to earn by working from the lower rung of the ladder, so to speak.

Despite of everything else I really am excited! My second trip to Zambia convinced me to get into teaching after seeing how much the kids changed in one year. It is amazing what happens when we make decisions based on our hearts desire. I have learned that qualifying miracles with hard work  requires hope, patience, faith, perseverance, and determination.

Also, after considerable research on my part, I find this school exhibits what I was looking for in an organization. Especially when it comes to their expectations from their students and employees. On my professional site, I listed three things that will help others reach their potential:
1) Clear expectation for behavior
2) Correct application of knowledge
3) Provide the right tools and supportive environment to perform expectations
After shadowing the teacher and asking others who work for this school on their opinions and views, I find the school as an organization reflecting what I am looking for. Granted I lack a depth of experience but I liked what I saw and heard enough so I kept pursuing this school for several months.

Another factor I considered is the school being a charter school.

Charter school provides more flexibility and structure for the children. I was also impressed at how involved the parents are in the education of the students and also the responsibility placed on the students. Simply put, what I've studied in grad school will finally be put into reality. Even though it is totally a career change on my part, I am thankful, the same principles of learning can be transferred from adult learners to young learners.

As far as what is next on my career plan, I really do not know that far in advance yet. For now, I know I will take every opportunity to learn and grow from this experience. Teaching in an elementary school is an entirely new world for me but I look forward for the growth this change will provide me.

Turns out, as one of my uncles told me, teaching is in the family. My family are all successful in many different fields, and teaching is one of that. So for now, being an elementary school teacher is what I am going to hone and develop as a skill. Hmmm...and maybe the next skill I look forward to learning is becoming a chef...

I start January 3! In the elementary school not culinary school :)

1 comment:

Brook said...

I think you'll make a fantastic teacher - totally in you element. No doubt about it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...