Saturday, June 16, 2012

June 2012 - Lake Powell, Alex's Miracle

To read Kim's (mother) account, click here.


My 14-year old friend being life flighted out after a 100 foot fall (photo courtesy of Ryan Stokes).




While holding his head to stabilize it, I was struck that he had no visible head injuries and more importantly that he was still alive.

Seeing him fall off the rock and then hitting his head on the rocks was the scariest thing I've experienced in quite a long time. If only I can truly share how I felt at that moment. I could not run fast enough. And yet once I got to where he fell, there was calmness and stillness instead of chaos. We were all worried for his life, his mother and father understandably distraught and yet I was given a comforting feeling of peace in my heart.

All I could do while running up towards where he landed was pray: "Oh God, please, please..."

While I was running up to where he fell, I kept yelling  "Do not touch him!" Then I saw him move his head. Seeing him move his head, my heart finally began beating again. I yelled at him not to move.

His dad, and two other friends caught up to me. One friend who is a practicing physician checked his vitals and he too was amazed. There was a moment when the 911 call was almost postponed due to  his lack of serious injuries. The call was still placed.

We gave him a blessing and a few minutes later, a vacationing ER doc and an EMT who heard about the accident on their radio also came to help out (see white boat). They both shared the same amazement we felt that he did not have more serious injuries.

As we looked out from where the accident occurred, what we saw was even more moving--our younger friends, from age 5 to age 15 were all kneeling in prayer.

20 minutes later, the rescue helicopter came and we carried my young friend in a stretcher to be taken to the nearest medical facility. While his parents rode back to the marina and made the heart pounding drive to catch up with their son.

A few hours later, he was discharged from the hospital in St. George with minor scratches and only a broken right arm. He, along with his parents, joined us the following day with his all familiar smile and amazing attitude. He was jet skiing (with a protective covering for his soft cast) and enjoying Lake Powell along with the rest of us.

I learned a lot from my young friend that fell, from my younger friends that taught me to kneel in prayer when things beyond my control happen, and the miracle I was fortunate enough to witness.

More are posted on my Facebook account.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...