Saturday, October 13, 2012

October 2012- "Wow, you look good for being 55!"


I enjoyed learning how to make this



Now if only I can find a way to capitalize on this fortune monetarily...


That white circular object in the middle (top right of the red light) was the moon.
Waking up early to go to work has it's surprises. 




When several of my students started asking me if I was "really 55", instead of denying it curiosity got the best of me. So I played along.

"Yes, I am. Why do you ask?"

"Really?! You look great for being 55?"

"Why thank you."

After tracking down the source of this new information, I couldn't help but laugh! I can say it gave me an opportunity to get to know another student in the school where I work.

Turns out, this student who I have never met before,  overheard me joking with one of my students in between of class transitions about my age, and without knowing the context of our conversation, the rumor of my being 55 thus began.

Since I didn't really see anything wrong with it, I just kept playing along.

---

Perhaps the biggest news for me this October was when our Church leaders announced the new age requirement for missionaries-- 18 for young men, and 19 for the young women.

I also found the Church continued emphasis that not everyone needs to leave at 18. But they should make this a matter of prayer and personal readiness.

Since this is already a common practice in other countries and in certain circumstances here in the U.S.  having this policy standardized across the Church was met with renewed enthusiasm.

I add my voice to this enthusiasm.

I had a roommate in college who served when he was 18 and I found him to be an amazing young man. I found his level of maturity to be impressive. Now I am not saying everyone that serves a mission experiences this change but for those that choose to change, it brings a noticeable change in their personal character.

During my Air Force career, I was able to meet and work with many 18 year olds. I loved their enthusiasm and commitment to work. They were bright eyed and filled with zeal! I enjoyed, and in more than one occasion, preferred working with them over some of those that have been entrenched in the system.

These young men and women brought a refreshing sense of energy and raised levels of professionalism to much greater height. I am confident this new policy to lower missionary age closer to graduating from high school will see a renewed and refreshing enthusiasm where ever these young men and women are called to serve.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...