Tuesday, June 20, 2006

20 June 06

  • Tribute to a Special Young Lady


  • I couldn't decide on what to name my entry. So I decided to enter the date instead. I start my English Conversation Class today. For six weeks, I volunteer at the local Japanese community center (Misawa International Center). I don't think volunteer is the right word to call it since I get paid. But since my refusal to be paid was denied and admittedly lower to what many here get paid to teach English, I still consider it volunteering. This is my 5th time teaching and I am enjoying it alot. Most of my students are adults wanting to improve their English conversation skills.

    I have set up a schedule where the focus is more on practicing their English than me teaching. Many of my students struggle with that because they are used to taking notes and listening. It's challenging to get them to open up. The first couple of classes, new students are apprehensive at first and limit their participation. Towards the end of our course, they start telling and sharing jokes, although I have no clue what they are saying. At least I like telling myself that they are laughing at their own jokes and not at me...

    Here is what I have set up according to the suggestions some of my students gave:

    The first hour is broken by:

    the first 10 minutes are spent on me teaching and giving instructions. After which we practice a lot of repetition, pronunciation, and diction. I show them what the conversation is supposed to be and let them practice for the next 30-minutes.

    Then a 10-minute break.

    The second hour:
    we watch a 30-minute children's video and go over the video with a few questions relating to my first lesson. So if we go over introduction, I will ask them: what is the name of...? What does he or she like? Who is...?

    Throughout the video, I meet one-on-one with 4 students (15 are in my class, and I've scheduled them throughout 4 weeks).

    Tonight I will have another person there. A cadet from the Air Force Academy was visiting and was very excited to help. I have asked him to conduct the second hour which will help me focus meeting with my students individually.

    Our courses are very simple:

    First week: Learn introduction
    Second week: Basic English Grammar; recognizing nouns, verbs, subjects and ojbects.
    Third week: Vocabulary day; American Idioms
    Fourth week: Asking questions: How, what, where, when, who, why?
    Fifth week: Students will practice their English by sharing a hobby, talent or a recipe (I love recipes!)
    Sixth week: Follow up, review, dinner

    ---
    My path to obtaining a secondary education graduate degree started last week and boy, do I have my work cut out for me. I've got one year to finish a two-year degree. Actually, 11 months. I'm taking it one class at a time though.

    Work is getting to be a chore and I am doing everything I can to not make it so. I have been impressed with the quality of people I have met who rise up to the challenge that comes with being in the military. If I choose right, I can make this time a very successful and enjoyable 11 months. That's my plan at least.

    I have rearranged a few things to focus again on the basics. To strengthen my foundation, so to speak. I am learning so much by being here and I am loving it.

    -----
    I included a friend's link above with his experience in going out with his ex-girlfriend. I found it to be reflective of how I feel. I have always felt what a tragedy it is when time spent on a relationship goes sour or become non-existent due to selfish interest or misunderstanding.

    What an amazing experience it is to experience this. I can say that I understand what he said in his blog. A friend showed me this important trait when I received a phone call early this morning. I was taught the importance of what it means to be a true friend. Despite the outcome between us, or I guess more for me than her, I was taught that nothing can bring joy and sastifaction than continuing to cultivate the friendship that time and experiences have nurtured and forged. Although what I wanted was not reciprocated, I can say that I am very happy for the path she is on now. She found what she has been waiting and looking for; that is why I am happy.

    I thought I lost a friend but I am very privileged and humbled to say that I have instead gained another.

    No comments:

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...