Friday, July 13, 2007

24 Hour OPs

My days at a glance:

Wednesday,

0300- Wake up. Stayed in bed until 0430. I read my scriptures.

0445 I went to a briefing, a scheduled video teleconference at 0500. Couldn't connect. I called and emailed but no success.

Went back to my office to check my email and do other work.

At 0800 went back for another video teleconference, still no success. Other personnel showed up so we had an impromptu meeting. I let my NCO conduct the meeting while I went to go and take care of other items.

0900- I went to Outdoor Rec to speak with the director about trips for the last group of ROTC cadets. Ben wasn't there. Work on my resume.

1000- I went to the First Term Airmen Center for my briefing on Suicide Prevention. We had a great discussion. I respect these Airmen alot for their decision to serve in a time of conflict; they signed the dotted line to sustain our country's Constitution.

1100- Went back to my office to do some more work, learning more about the new Evaluations process. I arrange for an instructor to teach for Friday. Make the room arrangements and finalize the schedule.

1230- Don't eat lunch, I keep typing and meeting with other staff

1300- I follow-up with some of our taskings that need to be done. Work on my resume.

1500- I confirm the training plan and tweak our website. I meet with Air Force News to arrange a meeting for Friday.

1530- I attend a mandatory fun meeting with other officers in our group. I get to eat lunch.

1620- I go to a friend's farewell (going-away) party.

1700- I go home, drop a load of laundry in the washer.

1800- I visit my brother; he is at school

1830- I visit a friend

1900- I go home and get ready for the next day.

2000- Finish with reading online newspaper and checking my email


Thursday


1300- I attend a briefing about the upcoming exercise. After the briefing, I raise my hand: I wanted to verify and check if I read that correctly--did that say 24 hour ops? I just hope that the decision makers work as much if not more than the lowest ranking Airman.


I bowl with the First Term Airmen. 5 were really close to each other but only three made the cut for the free meal. Three years ago, I started bowling with this group to help facilitate communication between officers and enlisted. I find that there is a great disconnect between the officers and the enlisted. The officers don't know a lot about the enlisted corp and vice-versa. I use it as a mentoring session to discuss the differences in our responsibilities. Enlisted are subject and technical experts on one thing; Officers are overall Managers. Looking at a pie, officers oversee all the pieces in the pie while several enlisted are responsible for each slice.

It provides the junior officers an opportunity to keep their "ears on the ground".

For the past three years I've been taking out the highest bowlers to lunch. These group of young men and women are inspiring. Just to hear where they come from, their background, their experiences, their love and desire to server our country.

Friday-

0500- I wake up. Read my scriptures

0630- I take a shower, read online news. Check personal email.

0715- I leave for work

0730- I arrive at work to find a note that I have a meeting with my Squadron Commander about the new Evaluation System that the Air Force is implementing in 1 Aug. Yup, less than two weeks away. AFPC is not very good at giving us enough time to study and do our research.

0800- We discuss our plan of attack, I presented my plan that I've solicited from our subject experts the day before.

0845- I meet with my flight commander and our superintendents to discuss and set our plan. I voice my opinion that mass briefings are not the most effective. Told that it is a requirement from headquarters. I still believe it's not effective.

0930- I go to the airport with our flight to say farewell to my old boss and other friends. I send an email to all units and group execs about the new evaluation system.

1000- I attend a meeting with other personnel to support our testing coordinator. We also discuss the evaluations system. Meet with testing coordinator and assess any problems. We discuss plans to implement efficiency and productivity. I ask her to send me copies of her meeting notes and to provide me with a continuity as she has moved to another department. I will end up, more than likely, taking on her responsibilities along with the other deployed officer's jobs.

1100- I meet with TSgt King to discuss plans for implementing mass briefings.

1115- I go see Mike for the money for the ROTC cadets opening social

1130- I go with the missionaries to help clean a house. They cleaned the garage while I cleaned inside.

1230- I return to work and prepare for my 1300 appt. I return emails and send emails about the last group of cadets visit. I talk to Capt RM to discuss any changes and additional plans. I think of the previous groups and I miss them terribly. I look forward to learning from and meeting more of the cadets.

1300- I meet with AFN to discuss options and solicit feedback on what they can do to assist us in better educating the public with the new evaluations process. I am given a copy of the Navy's evaluation process and I think: why can't the Air Force do something as simple as the Navy's?

1345- I attend our Squadron's Summer Send Off. I watch kids dance around a group of chairs- Musical Chairs, brought back memories of childhood years.

1400- I check my email to see if I've received any responses from the emails I sent out earlier.

1410- Face to face visit with Base Audio and Visual. Meet with A1C Bevins and SrA Nieves-Lopez. I was referred to them by AFN. I ask if they can provide and create an education tool such as a video tutorial regarding the new Evaluations Process. We discuss possibilities and find that they can support. We may not be able to dampen the headache but at least we'll be able to provide some supporting materials to lessen even if it's just an ounce of pain from them.

1500- I return to Summer Send off and eat lunch

1520- I return to my office to finish planning. I discuss with MSgt Sanchious our plan. I contacted all the execs to get an idea and feedback on what time is best for them. TSgt King comes to my office and we discuss the times she reserved from the base theatre. For an hour we discuss the possibilities of accomodating groups.

1700- I send an email to my boss's boss about our plan. We came up with 4 different times and with a disclaimer allowing them to contact us to schedule when we can visit.

I dislike mass briefings. It's a waste of time. But I will do it because I have to. But I will do more than just check a box to say I did it. Coordinating with the news agencies and the audiovisual department, I hope to make this transition easier than that past. I am excited! I thrive under pressure and my new boss is the right leader for this time.

1730- I go to Outdoor Rec and sign up for Kayaking

1800 I leave Outdoor Rec

1830- I go to a friend's house for waffles

2000- I leave full and enjoyed the company of good people

2030- I hang out with some friends by playing wii (boxing) and karaoke and some good snacks

2135- I say goodbye to friends that are moving tomorrow

2200- I go home

2230- I finish typing my day

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...