Another group of ROTC cadets left this morning. I took them to the airport and the weather expressed how I was feeling. I overheard a few comments about the cadets from others in the terminal and I couldn't help but agree. Here were the future officers of the Air Force. As I looked and watched the cadets, they were giggling, laughing, eating, simply put acting like normal teenagers. Yes they are teenagers practically but what an upstanding group they are. How fortunate the Air Force is going to be to have such quality, and high caliber group of future officers.
May they get the support and mentoring they need to help them reach their full potential.
I returned to my car and listened to one of the CD's a few cadets gave me. The song that played as I started the car made me laugh. With a high pitched-chipmunk-of-a voice, the singer sang: "I'm so lonely... Mr. Lonely..." With the rain, gray skies and music, there I was laughing while missing these awesome group of folks. I listened to the rest and I couldn't have received a better present than receiving a gift that came from their hearts. I didn't expect to get so many of their favorite music. I listened and couldn't help but see themselves in the music that played.
I feel very privileged to have had this opportunity to meet, serve and work with them. But even more so, I am really glad that I was asked to again help with this program.
One of the cadets told me that I should learn how to say No. I know how to say no, I just didn't want to. They were only here for two weeks. I wanted to make sure and did everything I could to ensure they have a positive experience. So many people helped out and I don't want to take all the credit. What an awesome experience this has been! Here was team work at its best.
I have now been doing this for three years. I love every second of it. Each time has been different. Each group with their own personalities, differences yet all are united in their decision to serve our country without any pomp or circumstance.
To these and other future officers, I give you my salute and dedicated service. You have accomplished a lot, experienced many things in your life not just within these two weeks. I have confidence in your capacity and capability to achieve more success. with your endeavors. I will do everything I can to ensure you continue to attain success. Best to you all and may you value your integrity and character more than anything. What a breath of fresh air are those who are capable in seeing and reaching out beyond their comfort level. You are on your path to becoming an officer in the United States Air Force. Keep it up.
No comments:
Post a Comment