Misawa cried for me today with it's gray skies and rain.
My brother and my nephew Manuel, Ann and her children Shayla and Branson, and the Haltli's came to see me off. I took one bag and the lady checker told me I could take it on the plane but when I went through the security check, was told to check it in. I ran back down with 5 minutes left before boarding.
My plane boarded at 955, I arrived at 930. Misawa Airport is small so it was okay.
I got on the plane and met a guy I knew from base. Dave sat on my left, while Amanda, visiting her son, sat on my right. The turbulence almost made me puke. Dave tried to comfort me by saying- at least it's not like a combat landing. Apparently they go straight down. Not a big fan of roller coasters. Amanda from Queens, New York had a great time visiting Japan.
Speaking with her, I realized how much I will miss Japan. Not just the country but the people I've come to love and appreciate.
While at the Tokyo Airport Haneda, I met Charlie who is a tatoo artist by trade. We had lunch together and he paid for lunch while I paid for our dessert. He is from LA. He has built his reputation here in Japan and has visited this country more than 16 times.
After arriving at the Hiroshima Airport, I went straight to the JR Station. The train station is alot busier and more accommodating. I asked a guy in uniform where the info desk was and he walked me there! From there I asked where a good and cheap place to stay. I am now staying at the Aster Plaza, a hostel. I have my own room for less than 30 U.S dollars a night. At the train station, I met Umit (Oo-mit) a college student from Germany working in Tokyo as an intern. He and I will be exploring the city tonight and the Bomb drop memorial tomorrow. I will join him to Kyoto and return to Hiroshima to catch my plane to Hawaii.
I am staying in room 814. I'm off to try some oysters!
Pictures later...
Thanks everyone!
2 comments:
We are glad that you made it safe so far on your journey. Let us know when you arrive in Utah. :-)
Love the Langstons
Jerome,
What an adventure. Only you Jerome, Leave it to you to find familiar faces miles away and tatoo artist from Los Angeles. Glad you are coming back to the States. Remember that popsicle place off of state street in Orem. Make sure to have a coconut one for me. Good old days.
Please contact me by e-mail when you get to Utah. I have some good news for you.
Leah
P.S what email do I uses for regular contacting?
Post a Comment