Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mistaken Identity (again)

Everywhere I've been throughout my young life, a question comes up that, innocent as the intentions are, bring laugther into the conversation.

"Where are you from?"

I've been mistaken for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Lao, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Black, yes...even an African-American. Don't ask me how. The funny thing is most of the people that ask or confuse me are people from those ethnicity. Except for being black. My roommate was on the phone with his sister when he mentioned my name...

I was in college waiting for the bus when a lady came up to me and started speaking. I kept nodding my head and agreeing. She stopped, and asked: "You're not Korean". No. She apologized and left. She was Korean.

A Mexican couple came up to me once and started speaking to me in Spanish. They were suprised when they learned I wasn't Mexican.

I guess it depends on how I comb my hair that dictates my pseudo-life of an undercover agent wannabe.

But the latest and perhaps most memorable mistaken identity yet happened right before a volleyball game I was playing in. A gentleman was setting up the net. I asked if he needed help and we began our conversation. He thought I was a refugee. When I told him I wasn't, he was bewildered and asked me: Why did you come to American then?

His innocence made me laugh. It was a good question best answered by my father. I To which will be a good addition to my family history research. I'll make sure I ask him when I see him again.

A sidetrack note--
Interesting facts about my family history:

- Maternal Grandmother converted to Catholicism when she was 18 from the Methodist faith.

- Paternal Grandfather changed last name from Banson due to his disagreement with his inheritance (a cow). I am still verifying this. But it is a popular oral history that's been passed on.

I'm working on starting a website for my family history. Unfortunately, all my documents are still in storage. But it's still in the concept stage. If any of you out there have a recommendation or suggestion, please let me know (thanks in advance!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...