Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Start of Family History

I am slowly beginning to compile my research about the Philippines and it's history. I find it to be as complex as the island's geographic location of over 7,000 islands. But this I know, many do not understand its history or culture not even by it's own people. Remove the drama born of politics and regional differences, the Philippines is a beautiful country with many talented people.

From my own experiences and observations,(this is based from personal opionions not merited by official resarch), the Filipinos lack an understanding of its history costing a severe lack in deep appreciation of its culture. What they do know is often flawed and superficial, or as others choose to do-- ignore and exchange it for something more popular. Assimilate something else that is perhaps "more exciting."

I have been informally studying the Philippines now, off and on, for over 10 years. From what I've read, and researched, one thing fascinated me-- primary writers and published researchers of the Philippines are non-natives. Scholars with ties to the Philippines are lacking. Don't get me wrong--I'm not complaining in fact, they've provided me with many revealing information. It's just an observation that I found.

I think it's valuable to have a third person's perspective. I must admit, I often prefer reading them over what local history writers have written. Native writers have a tendency to add hyperbole's, big words and immerse their research with personal opinions. While proud of their heritage, I find it sometime distracting as the overt use of words get in the way of important facts at times. But I am learning to love the native writers as I find their use of the language dramatic and poetic in their own right.

I hope that the scratches I make into my research can help my family understand the true beauty of the Philippines. I hope to pass this on to my own family someday.

My love for the Philippines began when I had the opportunity to serve there as a representative for my Church (and later my internship and subsequent visits). My time in the Philippines helped dispell several myths I had grown up with. Here's a few of them:

1) "all Filipinos are Catholic"
2) Filipinos are lazy
3) Submissive and ignorant

The Philippines I came to know is rich with diversity. It is made evident by the very islands itself, religion, languages (over 100 different languages), and cuisine. Yummy, food.

I had the opportunity to visit several locations in the areas I served in. My time was very rewarding as I got to immerse myself in its culture. I lived with and met everyday Filipinos and came to love and value their individuality. They are happy, fun loving, laid back, hard working people. I found many things in common with them.

So, here is the start. I hope to begin with my own family first. My parents, myself, brother (and later--additional brothers) and sister. More will be posted soon.

In the meantime, enjoy the links found under Family History.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...