Saying goodbye to the Olympics is like seeing a dear friend leave and won't see them for a long, long time. I guess it's good that it happens only 4 years (every two counting the winter olympics). Because if it happens more frequently than that I believe it's worth and meaning may become lost in it's familiarity.
There were detractors, there will always be. But in my own opinion it was to their lost. They have their right to voice their own opinions but the spirit of the Olympics is greater than it's detractors. Lives have change, and will continue to change as the influence of the Olympics continues to inspire the individual lives of those that have experienced and will experience these events. As more people watch and listen to the lives of the athletes and their accomplishments, the future will inspire more Michael Phelps to be, Bernard Lagat, Fabian Hambuechen, and Shawn Johnsons.
I've personally enjoyed watching what's good in humanity for this past two weeks. Triumph over tragedy as the Men's U.S. Volleyball team showed. Good sportsmanship, respect and support of the competitors like the gymnastic athletes showed.
Yes it was only 16 days but those few days showed that the world can unite unlike any other. Our differences were forgotten and what made us similar brought us together. Our differences did not become a hindrance to progress but became the needed uniqueness to bring us all together. Prejudices founded on ignorance and selfish pride were allowed to be cast aside as we became familiar and were allowed to get to know individuals. Granted the Olympics does not solve all of the world's problems but for 16 days, the world is united and a glimpse of peace and hope is made within reach.
Jacques Rogge (current IOC President) said it best:
"The world learned more about China, and China learned more about the rest of world. The IOC and the Olympic Games cannot force changes on sovereign nations or solve all the ills of the world. But we can - and we do - contribute to positive change through sport."
It taught me this important lesson--Change happens from the inside out. No force, no matter how great, can change an individual or a nation, unless the individual chooses to do so.
Watching the Beijing Olympics brought back my own experiences from the Salt Lake Olympics in 2002. I cannot articulate in words the feelings I felt but for one moment, a glimpse of what might and can be is brought closer to reality.
I wanted to attend the 2004 Athen's Olympics and 2008 Beijing Olympics but because of circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to do so. I hope that in 4 years things will work out so I can finally attend the London 2012 Olympics. I'll be finished with grad school by then and another decade will be within closer reach. I can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment