So, I've been at my new position with the University of Utah for about a month. I accepted their offer to be the Training and Development Coordinator with the Environmental Health and Safety. My primary responsibilities lie in developing and streamlining their training programs. I'm enjoying it and finding it to be one that that provides a plethora of opportunity for personal and professional growth. I guess you can sum it up to: It's a good fit for me.
As my background primarily is with leadership development, my technical skills are limited but not a hindrance. My director and the rest of our team are well aware of this.
During my research of other programs, I called one of the coordinators from Vanderbilt University. She asked if I had any background in Environmental Health and Safety, I said not much besides from my Air Force experience. She exclaimed-- Why did they hire you?!
I laughed when she asked that. I also told that to my co-workers and they couldn't help but chuckle. One said that my response should have been: Because I'm good looking.
I've also found another colleague from UC Irvine who has been more than helpful in assisting me with all my questions. She recently had a baby which limits her time at work yet makes the time to help me as much as she can. What an impressive individual!
I am finding more and more like here who are more than willing to assist me develop and streamline our training programs of which, I cannot express enough gratitude for their professional assistance especially since it comes minus the ego. It was also worth noting the coincidence that I found: more openness to collaboration from universities, and other organizations, located closer to the west coast of the country.
I do enjoy meeting with other professionals and experts in the field I'm in. They teach me so much and the only thing that gets to me is that I can't learn fast enough.
One of the projects I am working to develop are to offer Computer Based Training modules that would provide more online training. Since I don't have an extensive background on this, it's been amazing to find so many who are more than willing to assist me in this process. It's an awesome learning experience just to meet people from different fields, not limited within the University but with other institutions I've contacted, who are subject experts willing to share their knowledge and experiences.
One of the goals we've set is to be the flagship within the state of Utah in providing EHS training. I look forward to assisting in achieving that.
Time and collaboration, I acknowledge, are important aspects to change. I am learning to be more patient especially when working with others to accomplish the goals in a timely manner. I find myself to be very fortunate to have a director and team who are more than supportive.
My time table is sooner than what is expected which gives me time to exercise caution, just to make sure I am not running blindly into something. The last thing I want to do is to hinder our goals. I do believe it's just in my personality to get things done as quickly as possible. I also want to add that I'd like to be as efficient, and to make positive contribution as timely as possible.
My team and I have the understanding that my job is to help them become successful and also to make them look good. I am excited for this ability to do so.
No comments:
Post a Comment