Saturday, March 08, 2008

When things go...

I was 30 minutes late to my Dreamweaver training class today. Provided free courtesy of the Utah Educational Network, a support organization for Utah educators. Since I work for the University, I get to take courses for free (whoohoo!!).

I found an empty seat next to a cute girl. I guess I shouldn't use the word girl as she was a high school teacher. She looked overwhelmed and had a lot on her plate. It showed in her demeanor. I tried to strike up a casual conversation to hopefully add some sunshine to the storm clouds surrounding her but she wouldn't go for it.

So I decided to focus on the work instead but could not in the world figure out why the computer wasn't turning on. She saw that I was having difficulties and asked, quite abruptly I must add:

Did you turn it on?

Yes, I did.

IS the monitor turned on?

Yup.

Now for many of you, I'm sure you would have done the exact same thing I did next had you been in my situation. When everything else fails, there's nothing else to do but to reboot the computer, right? Of course I'm right. I'm Jerome.

I found the red button and turned it off--next thing I see is the whole row of computer screens going black. I believed this to be the turning point, or should I say "boiling over point", for the girl next to me-- WHAT DID YOU DO?!!!!

I sheepishly replied-- I just turned the computer off...

The other girl in my row laughed! I was laughing too but I believed it aggravated my seat mate even more. I bit my tongue.

There's nothing more attractive than an angry woman...(I'm being sarcastic by the way). I did feel bad for her. It seemed that it only added to her already doomed world.

This happened this morning. Here's what happened this afternoon:

I went to Smith's Marketplace on 400 South in Salt Lake City. They have a houseware section that I enjoy going to. I was looking through the cooling racks when I grabbed one hanging on the higher shelf. Needless to say, everything fell over and hit me on the head. I was laughing so hard that I couldn't do anything but laugh. I replaced most of them back and as I picked up the last one off the floor, everything fell off again. This happened about 3 or 4 times. Everyone was looking at me. I think they were trying to avoid the aisle I was in to avoid being contaminated by my silliness. Then and there I realized why so many get embarrassed when they're with me.

I seem to attract attention wherever I go whether I want to or not.

As I was leaving to go to the cashier, a guy walked past me and scraped his hand on my basket. He looked at me--"OWWW!" He gave me that look-- expecting me to do something. All I could say was-- Sorry. I pointed to my basket expecting that the blame would shift to the basket instead of the guy holding it. I bowed my head and walked away.

Today, to say the least, was a memorable day. Filled with laughter, and events that are--uniquely Jerome.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

What a day! I hate when people let their anger get the best of them...I do it on occasion but try hard just to laugh it off...I learned about dreamweaver in college...but I hardly remember anything, so if you have questions...I'm not you're girl... As for the Smith's story...I wish I was a fly on the wall that day! How funny! I've done that with glass items...it's quite embarrassing! Glad to hear you made light of what could have been an aweful day! Hope turnberry is treating you alright, sorry I haven't been much help....

JRome said...

Tif!! You brought me cookies, what better way to help someone feel welcome?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...