Timing, sometimes I don't do so well with that one. But when things work out the way I'd like them to be, it's a fascinating experience to go through.
I joined a tennis class to meet some of the locals, joined a mt. biking group, about to join a hiking club and signed up to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity but all the weekends are booked for the next couple of months. Being involved in the community where I live, I've found, allows me an honest interaction with the locals w giving me plenty of opportunities to get to know the community better.
I did everything I could to be involved in the local Japanese community while living in Japan. Despite the language limitations, I joined the local city's male chorus (Enten Coro) where none spoke English. I found them to be very patient and welcoming in my attempts to be involved with their community. They did their best and so did I.
I laugh then and now just recalling my attempts to find the group and in trying to read Japanese! I can still see the security guard's face as I asked him where the all male choir meets. I got pretty good with miming, playing charades, making sound effects and speaking Tarzan-Japanese in my attempts to communicate.
From my experiences in moving around a lot (32 times so far, not counting the two years I lived in the Philippines) it appears that living in smaller towns provide an easier atmosphere in becoming part of the community. For example, I only lived in Brigham City for less than two months but I met many people and was involved in several activities which I thoroughly enjoyed. I enjoyed getting to know them as people instead of being the "married couple" with families. It's quite different here. There seems to be a clear line drawn here between the married couples and the single adults creating an interesting rhythm and tempo.
----
The other day I saw a girl getting ready to play tennis in the court in our complex. I asked if she needed an extra player to play with. She said no as she had friends coming over.
Later throughout the day, I watched her with two of her friends playing tennis. I wanted to ask if I could join themy and play doubles but the result of my previous attempt in asking if I could play, discouraged me from doing so. Simply put I was plain lazy.
Today I had the itching to play volleyball. Not wanting to be lazy again, I walked outside my apartment and walked around our complex asking if anyone wanted to play. The sand volleyball court was being wasted and not wanting to waste such good (and free!) facility, I wanted to get it dirty.
I talked to everyone I saw and knocked on several doors asking if anyone wanted to play or if they knew anyone who might be interested in playing volleyball.
I found a guy who was also walking around with a volleyball. He was waiting for his friends and after not finding any of them went back to his apartment. I followed him to his apartment which is close to the pool and asked if he knew of anyone that wanted to play or anyone I could play with-- he said he plays with a group every Tuesday night. I asked if I could join them, he said he and his group run plays and showed some hesitancy in accepting my invitation to play with them. He said they're serious players. I told him that I'm just interested in playing a good game of volleyball. He directed me to go to the park across our complex and find people over there to play with. I'll try that tomorrow night.
I gave him my contact info and asked if he can call me when he and his group of friends play again. He said maybe and closed the door.
I enjoyed meeting people in my complex as I knocked on their doors and talked to those outside just hanging out. Many said it wasn't the right timing, others called their friends to see if they could play, while some pointed me to other apartments that might be interested. Unfortunately everyone was just busy tonight.
Overall, I thought it was a successful attempt as I forced myself out of my comfort zone.
I did learn an important lesson tonight though, I hope I never get too busy that I forget to relax now and again and just chill. And if I am busy, I hope that I'm not busy just for the sake of being busy but that my time is being filled with worthwhile activities.
Well, I'll try again another night and see if I could find people to play with.
2 comments:
wow you are really brave! I can't imagine that man saying "maybe". what a jerk. He could of said "let's see what ya got" or something like that.
good for you Jerome!
Thanks Joni.
I'm not too worried about his reaction. He probably had a bad day. Besides, if he did say "let's see what ya got" I would have probably chickened out:)
He was doing all these cool moves with the ball and besides, when he said they were running plays, I have no idea what those are. I've never really played in any official team.
Thanks for sticking up for me though!
Post a Comment