Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Where are You from?

I took the GRE on Monday but didn't get the scores I wanted and needed to get to qualify for my grad program BUT before any of you shed any tears, after consulting with the Director on what the next best step for me is, he suggested taking a few of the grad courses this year. He said that if I do really well, then he can quantify to the graduate department why I should be accepted in the program.

After reviewing several of my options, I decided that this route would be the better of them all. I decided to register as a non-matriculated grad student for this fall which will allow me to go ahead with my plans to start school. This way, I can focus on getting both my feet planted on the ground again (financially, settling here in SLC, be a more efficient contributor at work) and get ready for grad school next year. Getting laid off from the AF took alot of toll on me than I expected.

The time frame I established to accomplish my education goals are still the same. Had I stayed in the AF, I would be applying for Fall 09 anyways.

Lastly, here's some silliness I was involved with yesterday. I was applying online and my goofiness became fixated with the demographic info request-- Enjoy!

Email I sent:

Dear #######,

I am applying for admission at the U and found the following incorrect spelling. Under the Federal Reporting Information section, the drop down box for Ethnicity, Hispanic-Philipino is misspelled. It should be- Filipino.

Also, I am confused as to how I should answer best to the demographic
information request. Do I choose Asian/Pacific Islander because my family
ancestry is from the Philippines and since the country is located in Southeast
Asia or do I consider selecting Hispanic- Filipino because of the historical
significance of the country being a Spanish colony for three hundred years?

As my ancestors have Japanese, Chinese and Spanish roots, can you provide me
with some guidance on what I should use?

Please advise.

Thank you,


I was actually thinking of adding some other random countries to boot but decided to keep it simple. Didn't realize nor did I expect to get a response back--

Hello

Thank you for alerting us to the spelling error on the admission application.

As to your query, how you choose to answer is strictly up to you (choosing the
one with which you feel you most closely identify).

Thank you for your message.

#####


I actually put I was black when I took the ACTs. Next time I'll just put OTHER.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...