Saturday, October 04, 2008

Bug and driving

A few years ago while working for UNICEF, several of us interns decided to go to Boracay, an island with azure sky, crystal blue waters and white silky sandy beaches.

Some of us rented scooters to see the local scenery, dodging cars, trucks and others.

We took them through overgrown trees, bushes, gravel road, low and high roads.

I was enjoying the wind blowing through my face, and the warm sun soaking through my skin, energizing me. A smile came on my face just thinking of being in paradise, when suddenly, a bug decided to crash land into my throat. Needless to say, it ruined the moment.

I think my life experiences have been similar in a way. I'll be enjoying an experience or circumstance, when all of a sudden, I'd get hit by something that places a pit in my stomach. And there are times when it feels more like someone had thrown a 100 pound bowling ball to my stomach.

I am just grateful that we have prophets and apostles today that help me find hope in my Savior. That despite of what might be a heavy burden, it doesn't need to overwhelm me. While I cannot escape being unharmed from negative experiences, I am confident that I can find hope and peace in knowing that there is a God who knows me, a Heavenly Father that is very aware of where I am.

I find peace in knowing that the Savior will never fail or frustrate me. I can find confidence and rely on him without fail.

Despite of where I maybe in life, or wherever I may be in my circumstance, I can find confidence that I can still find happiness in life and strength to not just go through it, but overcome.

What an amazing thing it is to know that there can be hope, peace, and joy because of the Savior. (www.lds.org)

5 comments:

Lingling said...

I love it when you tell stories. Like I am actually there seeing what's happening at a given moment. But that bug story is crazy. One time I had a fruit fly went inside my nose. It was so uncomfortable!
Anyway, did u see any familiar face at the conference?

JRome said...

A fruit fly?? Youch!

During the Sat morning session, I was walking out and see an Air Force major in his uniform, he looked very familiar. I asked if he was ever in Japan- he said yes. Later that day I remembered. I saw him again in priesthood--we were both advisors to a week long young mens/ young womans camp in Tokyo.

Sunday afternoon session, there was another person but we never did figure out where we knew each other from-- so I said it was nice to see you again.

My friends from my ward and I sang a hymn in Tagalog at the Filipino fireside after the SundaySession. There I met one of the sister missionaries assigned to Temple square. She was in her early teens when I served in her hometown as an LDS missionary and taught her brother-in law! He had 1 kid who was 3 months old, now he and his wife have 6! And all are very involved in the Church.
I was just so happy to hear that.
I got their address so I can't wait to write them.

Talk about me feeling old.

I also got re-acquainted with others I have met in the past, such as the MTC (talk about really old), and Tagalog classes I took. What a small world indeed.

JRome said...

A fruit fly?? Youch!

During the Sat morning session, I was walking out and see an Air Force major in his uniform, he looked very familiar. I asked if he was ever in Japan- he said yes. Later that day I remembered. I saw him again in priesthood--we were both advisors to a week long young mens/ young womans camp in Tokyo.

Sunday afternoon session, there was another person but we never did figure out where we knew each other from-- so I said it was nice to see you again.

My friends from my ward and I sang a hymn in Tagalog at the Filipino fireside after the SundaySession. There I met one of the sister missionaries assigned to Temple square. She was in her early teens when I served in her hometown as an LDS missionary and taught her brother-in law! He had 1 kid who was 3 months old, now he and his wife have 6! And all are very involved in the Church.
I was just so happy to hear that.
I got their address so I can't wait to write them.

Talk about me feeling old.

I also got re-acquainted with others I have met in the past, such as the MTC (talk about really old), and Tagalog classes I took. What a small world indeed.

Lingling said...

That's neat! Thanks for sharing! It is a small world. It's good to keep in touch with those people. Gosh! Tell me about getting old...i am feeling it :) So kumusta ang tagalog mo? Hindi mo ba nalilimutan? You must be a filipino, hehehe!

JRome said...

Do I still know Tagalog? Siyempre, ako pa!

It helps that I grew up hearing and speaking it at home.

I wasn't fluent when I went on a mission to the P.I. Nor am I as fluent as I was when I was a missionary but I am still better now than before the mission.

Although when I do speak it I have a strong "taga-probinsya" accent mainly from Batangas and Mindoro. Especially when I get excited.

My fam hates it when I speak Tagalog because of that reason:) So I have to slow down to sound more "proper".

I still struggle with reading Tagalog since we didn't have the complete translation bqck then. I subscribe to the Tagalog Liahona but the form of Tagalog being used is different than what I became familiar with as a missionary.

But okey lang! Ingat sila sa inyo eh!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...