I was concerned that Christmas or December was going too fast for me. I wanted it to slow down a bit and not get too caught up with the busy-ness of the season.
I went to Shelly, Idaho (Idaho Falls) and had a very calm and reflective day. My friend and his wife with their three children and I enjoyed a nice quiet Christmas Eve and also Christmas Day.
They went sledding on Christmas Day; I decided to stay at their home and enjoy the warmth. They returned a half hour later due to the storm and also because they got stuck a few times on the road. Both times though strangers help push their vehicle out of the snow drifts.
Christmas Eve, we made a Filipino inspired meal. I call it "Filipino inspired" because I can never make the Pinoy food I make taste as authentic and delicious as my brother's or sister's cooking. We made lumpia, pancit canton, turon (fried bananas) and some Japanese Gyozas. My friend also tried balut. He suggested I bring bring some food I associate Christmas with. Perhaps it was nostalgia just hitting me...but I was never really a big fan of balut
I must admit, I really had an enjoyable day. It was simple and not overwhelming. As much as I enjoy being with family and friends during this season, this was exactly what I needed this year. Just a time to reflect and remember the lessons I've learned and experienced this past year.
One memory I am taking from this Christmas is waking up the day before with their 3-year old twins watching me sleep. I couldn't help but laugh. Another would be watching Elf (Will Ferrell) on Christmas Night. The day before we watched a video reflecting the birth of the Savior,d read passages from the scriptures, and sang Christmas carols. It was a peaceful celebration.
I also went to Lava Hot Springs, Idaho the following day on my drive back from Idaho to Salt Lake. The roads were terrible. The freeway traffic was going 40 mph in certain parts. But I didn't mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment