This weekend was filled with another busy but productive events. One of my neighbors moved apartments and we helped her and her three children move yesterday. At least that was the theory.
I wasn't able to make it as I was called in to work by the American Red Cross. A fire ripped through an apartment complex late Friday night and we had to set up temporary shelter for them (see related stories, http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5080077).
I spent most of the day and night at the shelter. It was good that there were others willing to help with the move as she had a lot of things that needed to get moved.
Later that afternoon, I took a break from the shelter to sing with a friend at our ward's Christmas party. My friend and I sang, Time To Say Goodbye and right after that I went back to the shelter. By midnight we had everyone out of the shelter and in with family and friends.
It was amazing to see how many stepped in despite of the devastating fire. We had one lady stop by to see what she could do to assist. We put her to work with getting the food distributed in the kitchen. One kid had finals this week and lost all his college textbooks. Many didn't have any renter's insurance.
Today we finished helping my neighbor, met with some friends for a simple open house with treats and hot cocoa and wassail. But the highlight of today was learning how to make two Russian dishes and 1 Ukrainian dish.
Borsch is a soup made with beets, cabbage, chicken, carrots, onions, and tomato paste.
Ikra is a spread made with carrots, green peppers, onions, and eggplants.
Pirozshki (Russian dumpling) is a pan fried stuffed bread with boiled eggs, mushroom and onions.
I loved them all. My neighbors are spoiling me as they shared many of their food with me. Oh, and I forgot to add that Misha also made homemade elk stew with Russian buckwheat. His friend from Wyoming drove down and brought him some fresh elk. It was delicious!
I'm glad I shared my apple pie with them Friday night! I'm also very happy that I can learn how to make simple Russian dishes...
No comments:
Post a Comment