Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Job Update 19 Dec 2007 - Success Facilitator

Here's the latest on my employment search and rescue:

After years of avoiding stereotypes and labels, I finally found a label and title that suits me: Success Facilitator. A recruiter sat me down the other day and really took the time to help me be more successful in my daily search. He suggested I needed a label that will help others help me find the right employment fit. If I am not the right fit for a certain company, they may find a more appropriate one for me.

I have spoken with many who have said that I'm a "delight", "smart", "articulate", and "dedicated". It's a breath of fresh air to hear this from professionals who have extensive background in hiring and recruiting caliber people. It's good to be recognized for your hard work and accomplishments. Even if I'm not the right fit for them.

I spend 8 hours a day following/finding leads and talking to people-- everyone I meet about potential employment. Following are examples of what I've accomplished.

- I met with the University of Utah yesterday for a second interview for their Training Coordinator position at the Environmental Health and Safety Dept. When they asked me if I had any questions, I took that time to get to know them and learn how they work as a team. What do they do to foster team work, how do they resolve creative differences, and will they forgive me if I make mistakes. I wanted to know as much as they do, if I am the right fit for their organizational team.

I was impressed with their responses.

At the conclusion of both of our interviews, I asked where I ranked amongst the candidates. I was informed that I was in the top 3. Here's hoping that there's more than 3 candidates that applied!

I sent the committee members a thank you card today.

- Shopping for Christmas cards yesterday, I stopped at TP Gallery, a Native American and Indian store, on Main Street. David, the owner, informed me that Mayor Becker (SLC Mayor) is looking for folks like me (more about this down below). So today I went to follow-up his lead and met one of his staff members, Bianca. I gave her my resume and will follow that up later next week.

I also spoke to the Mr. Platt, the security guard on the main floor and he gave me additional leads.

- American Express: I applied to American Express for their Client Relations Manager position and now tracking someone that works in American Express so I can follow my resume with a phone call or a face-to-face visit to introduce myself.

- Resource Management Inc: I applied and submitted my resume online and will follow that up with a personal visit today to learn more abou the position. Whether they have someone already in mind or if this is open to anyone.

I received and continue to get several leads from so many people and I am just overwhelmed with gratitude.

I want to thank y'all for your concerns and prayers. Please know that I am not ignorant of that.

Many years ago, during my first move to Provo, I barely had $20 in my pocket when I decided that getting a college education was something I wanted to pursue. Having returned from my two-year church service, I had zero budget to work with. It took me three months before I found a job that provided for my needs and allowed me to settle. This was during the summer break which was supposed to have plenty of job opportunities.

That was over 10 years ago. I now have a car (that works--whoohoo!) college education, professional experience and about to pursue a master's degree and will pursue another one after I finish my MSW degree.

I have confidence that as long as I stay consistent, persistent, dedicated, motivated,and turn everything into a wonderful opportunity things will work out. The budget is getting smaller and tighter but my commitment to hard and effective work is getting stronger. Things work out, they always do. It may not happen on my time table but it will happen when I will appreciate it the most.

Additional Update:

- As I mentioned above, I met Dave, the owner of TP Gallery. As we chit-chatted, I told him I was looking for a job and he thought I was sharp and a good fit for the recently elected mayor's team. I informed him that I recently completed active duty service. He almost had a heart attack. Turns out he thought I was 18 years old. I told him my real age and he about died again! I reassured him that: "I'm just short for my age".

- I learned this morning that straight razors with 5 blades can produce a lot of blood in a short amount of time especially when you accidentally slide it horizontally on your face instead of the up and down motion.

- I use my time as effectively and frugally as I can. I go to the library, the Employment Center and make use of the available (and FREE!) services and resources that they have. SLC library limits 2 uses per day (1 hour each) on their computer while the Employment Center limits an hour each day. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you have limited time.

- I make sandwiches and snacks and eat them while I'm driving. So don't worry I'm getting fed and not spending it out on restaurants.

- I learned today why they call a specific workout--dumbell crushers. I dropped a 22 lb dumbbell on my forehead. No worries, still alive and kicking. I saw two pregnant ladies that were lifting more weights than I was. I think I saw them laughing at me...

Enjoy the holidays and thanks again for all y'all's support!

3 comments:

Jeremy and Annisha and family said...

Jerome,
Don't worry about the weight lifting. I was in the gym the other day and the lady next to me was warming up with more weight than I was working out with. Sounds like you are getting out and about in SLC. I'm sure you'll come up with something soon. Merry Christmas,

Jeremy

Tiffany said...

Wow! You're keeping busy! Congrats on getting a car! I really enjoyed your dumbell story!

The Germain Family said...

ha ha ha we love looking in on your blog every now and then. You sure are putting it out there. Merry Christmas

Katie

check out our blog
familygermain.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...