Monday, December 31, 2007

Winning the lotto...at the DMV

So this morning I woke up and had the impression to call this kid I met. He and his wife just moved into our neighborhood. Turns out his car was impounded (long story) and he had been trying to find someone who can drive him around to get it back.

To make it shorter, the cop mistakenly impounded his car because apparently he didn't have insurance, which he does as proven so by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and his insurance company.

We went to the DMV located at 2880 South and 380 West in SLC. It was packed. There were 18 sections and the que system was quite interesting. He received number 263 but there were a variety of numbers being called and posted. 117, 245, 412. It made me feel like I was at a Bingo game night or what not. They also had a TV screen broadcasting the numbers next at the que and an automatic voice prompt would call the next number and directing the ticket holder to the next available station. I brought a book with me but got caught in the game of things. 261...262... then nothing for the next 30 minutes it went around in circles calling every other digits but our ticket. My friend was talking to me and my eyes were glued waiting for our number. When I saw our number and the recording called our number I was overwhelmed by it all that I screamed: YYYEEEESSS!!! I believe I almost caused some to get a heart attack while others woke up from their slumbered state as I was overcomed by our hitting the jackpot-- the winning number! Some looked at me with murder screaming from their eyes, "weirdo", while the lady in station 13 couldn't help it--she laughed uncontrollably. My friend walked to station 15 trying his best to ignore my existence. So naturally, I walked right next to him. He got so embarrassed. I didn't see the big deal...I was just so excited of getting our number called, especially after waiting for an hour. At least she got a good kick out of it.

I guess that's the closest thing I'll ever get to gambling.

The lady at section 15, the lady we went to, wasn't very pleased. I think she left and permanently locked her smile away in a lock box somewhere and buried with it her personality.

Later, a young girl screamed YEESSS! as well when their number got called. I smiled. I wonder what happens to our sense of humor when we get older. Why are we so concerned at what others think of us? Does it really matter? Perhaps this is the reason why my family never takes me out anywhere.

We tried to resolve his impound car...eventually we got it out but still had to pay a whopping $147 at the towing company. We got the run around, which to anyone that's familiar with any government agency is not an unfamiliar term. Another reason why I'm against Universal Health Care. The DMV is confusing and convuleted enough as it is... why trust the government with my health care? But this is for another blog entry later on...

It also turned out that the drivers license bureau is located at another city, 30 minutes away. I don't know why they didn't have them co-located...another reason I'm against government sponsored health care. I'm concerned that instead of it being simple, it'll lack any room for common sense.

Had we had more time, I would have suggested having a sit down and with placards walking around the towing company or the police department until they listened and fixed his situation. Everyone kept telling him to go back to the originating department. We went to the police department located at 300 East and about 200 South.
DMV: Go to the Police Dept.
PD: Go back to the DMV. I don't know why they told you to come here. I have no answer for you. Go back to the DMV.

I eventually just suggested that he write a letter of complaint. Take their names down and write to the Dept of Transportation about the mess he is experiencing. Turns out we weren't the only one there that had a negative experience with the car being impounded. Aaah-- bureaucratic run around at it's best.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...